"diskboot Failure Insert System Disk" Error When Booting From Sata Hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jidkid

i tried to install xp on a fresh formatted sata drive, it detects it fine in the bios and the xpsp2 cd can find it during setup,,, but after the windows xp cd copies all the setup files and reboots (the red bar that says rebooting in 14 seconds) .. it fails,, it gives me this error....

can anyone help??

Welcome to Techspot!
If your installation disk is not XP 1 or higher it may be having trouble with the SATA drive.Grab an updated version of XP.

It may be better to copy the installation cd to the HDD (Must be a seperate partition from O/S ) and install using that copy .

ok so now, i tried this,,

i installed xp (with the ide hdd plugged in which already has windows installed) on the sata,, and i was able to boot to the sata.... but as soon as i unplug the ide that error pops up again.... so how do i make just the sata independent of the ide drive......... !!!!!!

and yah,, i went to the bios and set the priorities to the appropriate drives and all that...

how would u copy the install cd to another partition anyway,,,, just copying the content doesnt count, cuz, its just data,, its not bootable,, and if u make an image,, u cant boot from an image,, because its saved in the hard drive.. oh wait,, do u mean,, ghost the xp cd to a harddrive partition, is that possible?? can u ghost cds??

Check the Bios for the latest version, and update if not.
If you are not using the IDE channel for any device see if you can disable it in CMOS.
Did you have any glitches when you formatted the SATA and is the first partion "Active"?

You can boot to a floppy DOS disk and run a Windows installation from files copied to the HDD/USB drive

yah yah yah ok.. can u explain the difference between active and un active,,, i don understand what set as active does,.. i was always scared to do it,,

my bios is new, i just bought this motherboard. asus an8 e

i have a dvd rom which is on ide channel 2..

The "Active " tells the bios where to look for bootable drive info. I am not an Engineer so I may not be describing this right, however You must designate one primary partition Active.For Windows O/S es this must be C:

New upgrades occur in technology by the hour. You should always check for Biuos updates to see if some problem you are having is addressed by a new version.

BTW I do not appreciate the "YAH YAH YAH" you are the one that needs help. I do not want to waste time with info you already know, but I have no way of knowing what that is.

My experience

This is a very difficult process.Do you have a motherboard manual and cd ?
Without these i doubt you will succeed.
It also requires a floppy disk for the raid drivers during bootup request for F6 key press and the proper files on it.
Also the correct Boot sequence in the bios.
Best i can do as i ended up paying a technician.

You don't always need a driver disk to install windows to an sata drive, I've installed to an sata drive on 2 different motherboards without extra drivers, it all depends on the chipset controlling the sata.

He's already got Windows to successfully install files to the sata drive, so that isnt' the problem here.

yup yup already am able to boot into windows in sata,,,, but with the ide plugged in..... i want to boot to the sata withought having the ide plugged in....

how is that possible,, and it seems so illogical,, why cant u boot to it i mean,, it makes no sense.

well i recently tried,, fixmbr to create a new mbr on the sata install partition now it says,,

NTDLR is missing..
press ctrl+alt+delete to restart...

so now what??

i meant NTLDR which stand for nt loader i believe... dont really know what it means.. or what it does,,

In your BIOS, what boot order do you have listed, and what optional choices do you have that arene't alreayd in the boot order?

EDIT: Two more questions..

1. Does your BIOS have a setting for use PnP OS? If so, what is it set to?

2. If you use a bootable setup cd, have it say "Press any key to boot to cd" but then boot the hd anyway, what's it do?

This post just so Howard has to merge every post on this thread. ;)

ok let me try those..

and let me make it clear so u guys can understand it clearly.. im sorry if i have been unclear..

in my bios the boot order is
1:floppy
2:cd
3: sata hdd
4: ide hdd

and i do have pnp OS but never messd with it.. so let me look into it..
THNX FOR THE HELP so far guys, appriciate it.

Boot sequence

jidkid said:
ok let me try those..

and let me make it clear so u guys can understand it clearly.. im sorry if i have been unclear..

in my bios the boot order is
1:floppy
2:cd
3: sata hdd
4: ide hdd

and i do have pnp OS but never messd with it.. so let me look into it..
THNX FOR THE HELP so far guys, appriciate it.
Try
1:A: floppy
2:cd (The drive with Windows CD)
I did need a floppy sata driver both times even though XP was already on it.
I expect this to be the case each new Windows install since you remove the old drivers by formating.
I'm sure you'll see this eventually.

If you installed XP on your machine with the IDE HDD connected , then the MBR is on it. When you remove this HDD, the SATA HDD no longer has a MBR pointing to it.
You will have to re-install XP without the IDE HDD connected if you want your machine to boot without the IDE connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back