Diskboot failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to ask dumb questions but I need help. My daughter has a computer and it is giving me a:
VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA
THEN SAYS DISKBOOT FAILURE
INSERT SYSTEM DISK & PRESS ENTER.
I was thinking the hard drive was bad so i changed it and i get the same message.
While cpu is booting up it goes thru and show what drives it recognizes and it only recognizes floppy. I went and put a win xp cd i and it went thru and acted like it reloaded but when i took disk out i got same error
In CMOS i went and made sure the boot sequence was A,C, ACSI.
I HAVE UNPLUGGED ALL CABLES AND RE-ATTACHED.
Any help?????

this message that is coming up on my daughters cpu just started all of a sudden. that is why i thought the hd was bad. Now I do notice on the back of the hd there are little pens and i can move a jumper. how do i no where it will need to be. We have only one hd on cpu.
thanks

Alrighty, let's get started. First of all, welcome to Techspot!!

Second, please go read https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html This will help avoid incurring the wrath of the members and moderators. For example, use the edit button instead of double replying.

Now, you have a CD drive, is it on the same IDE cable or different than your harddrive? This will change where you want the jumper.

In your boot order, please change it to say "A, CDRom, C"

You say it looks like Windows reloaded- do you mean it went through an install process? Did you have to click on to install, etc?

Edit: Mods, please merge the parent post(s).

Please be sure floppies are removed from the drive. Silly, I know, but I've missed that too. Annoying when you spend time working on it, and THEN find a floppy.

When your computer turns on, it should detect devices. Does your bios or that boot process see the harddrive?

And of course, be sure that all cables have been seated- check both the motherboard and drive ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back