Display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stelch

Hi

I have a problem with my pc. What happens is that when the pc boots and after the welcome screen when the desktop appears and halfway loading the start-up programs the monitor blacks out and comes on again. I have tried other graphics card drivers but still the same problem. At the moment I am using the nVidia 71.84 driver.I have a P4 3.2Ghz 1 GBRam PCI Express card GeForce PCX5900. Any ideas?

Stelios

are you overclocking your video card? that sounds like when it changes frequency as the coolbits or rivatuner settings are loaded.

3rd Party Driver

You may have tried this already but try searching for the Omega drivers for your video card, I've used these on some systems in the past and gained not only stability, but also performance. Be sure to use DriverCleaner to uninstall your video card drivers completely prior to installing the Omega's though. Also, check out the items starting up when your computer boots, as there may be something spyware related. Start->Run->msconfig-> Startup Tab... google anything that you are not familiar with, and find out what it is prior to unchecking it.

Hope this helps,

C0d3Warr10r

Big Blue:
Asus P4P800 I865PE
P4 2.8GHz 800MHz
2048 KingMax PC-3200 CAS 2.5
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 /160GB /7200RPM /8MB Cache
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Enermax 420W PSU
Aspire X-Dreamer II
Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW
Sony 48X CD-RW
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT
3DMark03 Score: 10,035

Thanks guys for the tips, but unfortunatly nove of them worked. I did not overclock the card. In any case I did reformat and reinstalled XP pro and to my suprise the problem is still there. I gave up now I don't know what to do and where to look. I also installed the Omega drivers but still no go. :hotouch:

How old is your graphics card ? Does it require connection to a separate power source ? Can you borrow a graphics card from someone you know just to test if yours is giving up, before going out to spend a lot of money on a new one ? Or even get someone to try yours in a different system ?

Good Luck.

My card is only 5 months old but your suggestion makes sense.
What I have also noticed is that everytime I try to copy a video file, nomatter what size it is, the same thing happens i.e. the monitor goes black and comes on again.
Nevertheles I will have my card tested in another pc and see what happens.

This is my card
http://www.xpcgear.com/asusen5900.html

Stelios

i have heard of this problem before and as far as i know it has nothing to do with the video card the two main solutions i have heard causing these problems are the OS or the HDD
with the OS SP2 has had this problem occure many of times and uninstalling doesnt fix the problem always sometime it needs to be formated also registry problem will cause these exact problem
Hard drive can also cause this problem if the hard drive is giving out
im not saying this is the problem but these are the most common causes of xp not to boot up properly and monitor problem
let me know when and if you figure out what the problem and what was the problem

Clarification

Nellakita,

I think Stelch has already done a clean install of WinXP so here closest restore point wont take the computer back far enough to resolve the issue.

Stelch,

After reading your post again with fresh eyes this morning, it occurred to me that this "Blinking" might occur at system boot because your video card supports multiple displays. After your machine boots, goto your Device Manager and click on the + sign next to Display Adapters. You will probably notice that there are 2 devices that look almost identical except one has (Secondary) at the end of it. You may need to contact ASUS regarding the method of disabling the multi-display function of your card. I've used ASUS products for years now and have always found them to have reliable products and support staff.

As Nellakita said, your HDD may also be the cultprit, but try to exhaust a couple other avenues before giving up the ghost and start ripping out hardware. You have good, quality equipment that isn't old enough to start replacing on a whim. If you do another install of XP, try *not* installing SP2 to see if that effects anything (simply uninstalling SP2 may not effectively remove all the stuff M$ forcefeeds your system) and be sure check out the ASUS contact info below.

Asus Contact Info:
Tel: 502-995-0883 (select option 3)
Email: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

Once again, I hope this info helps,

C0d3Warr10r

Big Blue:
Asus P4P800 I865PE
P4 2.8GHz 800MHz
2048 KingMax PC-3200 CAS 2.5
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Enermax 420W PSU
Aspire X-Dreamer II
Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW
Sony 48X CD-RW
3DMark03 Score: 10,035

C0d3Warr10r
Thanks for all the info you gave me. I had a look at the Device manager and at the Display adapters there is only one showing "NVIDIA GeForce PCX5900" saying that this device is working properly. I have to mention that my Seagate Hard drive is also 5 months old, the same as the graphics card. It is also fair to say that all these problems started when I tried to install another exhaust fan and I blew my mother board. I have replaced the mother board with exactly the same one and ever since I have this problem. As I said I have done a complete format and re-install XP2 but with no cure. As I also mentioned the blinking occurs when I try to copy a video file. I don't think is the Hard drive because when I remove the graphics card and connect the display directly to the mother board then everything works OK. Could it be a setting in the Bios? I did restored the defaults on the bios and still no go. What I want to know is whether is a hardware or software problem.

OK what happened is that I took my 5900 PCI Express card back to the dealer and he said that it was faulty and replaced it, free of charge, with an Asus Extreme N6600 GeForce 6600 PCI Express 256MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI, Is this a good card?

Stelios

I can't speak for your particular model as I do not have experience of the ASUS card, but the 6600 in general is a very capable graphics solution, and particularly in newer titles, shuold give improved frame rates and image quality over the 5900. I would be happy with the exchange.

did some suching around and found out that the card is a good card and i also found out my cousin has that card and loves it and he is really int gaming so i think its safe to say you got your self a fairly good card i also think any asus card is pretty much a good card i have had my share of asus cards and have no compliants

Well after using this card for a few days I would say that I am very happy with it. I enjoy MS Flight Simulator 2004 and with this card I get better frame rates and textures get loaded quicker than my previous card.

Stelios

Gratz

Stelch,

I'm glad you were able to get such a good deal from a local computer store. At the end of the day, your problem was resolved, and you got an upgrade out of the deal.... gratz

C0d3Warr10r

Big Blue:
Asus P4P800 I865PE
P4 2.8GHz 800MHz
2048MB KingMax PC-3200
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Enermax 420W PSU
Aspire X-Dreamer II
Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW
Sony 48X CD-RW