divx 5 released for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

previously only version 4 has been available since the release of 5 for PC and Mac just recently.... but I see that the lovely people at divx have now sorted us out for linux as well for version 5! well done chaps!

http://www.divx.com/divx/maclinux.php

unzip the tar to your home dir, then su to root and then run

./install.sh

and its as easy as that!

Now I can watch my new star wars episode 2 trailers!

WARNING: This may do the same as DivX for the PC.
The free version now comes with Gator GAIN which is adware that runs GMT.exe on startup and can only be removed by uninstalling DivX.

Its been grabbing all my CPU cycles on occasion so I have been killing it manually because I like having DivX. Might have to pay for the Pro version to get rid of the adware....

Well, this is the contents of the tar file:

decore.h
install.sh
libdivxdecore.so
license.txt
RELNOTES.linux

This just looks like divx itself, an installer (which probably just copies the files to the correct locations) and some release notes and a licence text file..... no sign of anything more sinister in there....

Again, another reason to use Linux! You can be free, for the most part, of all that annoying BS!

Yeah but there aren't ports of the latest games.
DirectX has seen to that. I haven't seen anything about good games support in Linux. If I didn't play games I would be using linux completely ;)

Originally posted by Arris
WARNING: This may do the same as DivX for the PC.
The free version now comes with Gator GAIN which is adware that runs GMT.exe on startup and can only be removed by uninstalling DivX.

Its been grabbing all my CPU cycles on occasion so I have been killing it manually because I like having DivX. Might have to pay for the Pro version to get rid of the adware....

I've been irritated by this "feature" as well. However, I've found that the Gator is started in a registry entry. I haven't tried deleting that though. You tried anything like that?

It doesn't seem to be grabbing any CPU cycles from my PC though.

Originally posted by lokem

It doesn't seem to be grabbing any CPU cycles from my PC though.

I think this laptop is just a tad dodgy and since I am trying to convince my bosses to get it replaced I'm not that bothered about trying to fix it ;)
I'm gonna try deleting the reg entry now.

Well removed the registry entries for Gator and rebooted.
DivX still works and GMT.exe doesn't get started.

Well removed the registry entries for Gator and rebooted.
DivX still works and GMT.exe doesn't get started.

Alright! That's good news. Will be doing that to mine now :D

but there aren't ports of the latest games.
DirectX has seen to that. I haven't seen anything about good games support in Linux. If I didn't play games I would be using linux completely ;)
Don't you have a PS2? HL:CS runs in Linux, what else do you need? :)

LOL... :haha:
Last time I installed Linux it was one of the first Red Hats and before that it was from 31 disks downloaded with instructions in german...
Might consider dual booting.
So Linux and WINE you suggest do you?
I'll consider it, but remember I'll probably end up bloating the "Installing linux for the first time (dual boot)" post ;)

I'll consider it, but remember I'll probably end up bloating the "Installing linux for the first time (dual boot)" post ;)

That's no problem.... Actually, there may well be an "Installing Linux" guide on the site soon....

I'll just wait for that then :)
Although having installed Linux from floppies years ago I am sure I could manage with the new friendlier linux ;)

I'll just wait for that then :)
Although having installed Linux from floppies years ago I am sure I could manage with the new friendlier linux ;)

Things have changed a LOOOTTT since then my friend. Nowadays, all you have to do is pop in the CD, let it boot, select a few options and away you go. Make sure you know where to put LILO/GRUB though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back