Do CPU's still go by GHZ?! I'm upgrading my PIII 1ghz...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm running a dual Pentium3 1ghz system.

I havent paid attention to cpu's in the past years and I have no clue how to pick a cpu!!!

It used to be easy... just look for the highest Ghz speed but now everyone has different "Type" of processors.. D's, M's 2500's ect..

I want to know what is a fast and decently priced.
I'm actually looking for a laptop now so I guess whatever are the fast processors for laptops.

I do audio production and graphic design so I dont need anything made for games... just processing power for software synthesizers and photoshop ect..

Thanks!

brain4000 said:
Hi,
I'm running a dual Pentium3 1ghz system.

I havent paid attention to cpu's in the past years and I have no clue how to pick a cpu!!!

It used to be easy... just look for the highest Ghz speed but now everyone has different "Type" of processors.. D's, M's 2500's ect..

I want to know what is a fast and decently priced.
I'm actually looking for a laptop now so I guess whatever are the fast processors for laptops.

I do audio production and graphic design so I dont need anything made for games... just processing power for software synthesizers and photoshop ect..

Thanks!

Now, you have to also look at the L1 and L2 Cache, and the FSB of the processor. If you also multitask along with graphic design I would suggest an Intel Pentium D (same name for laptops?) or for a little more an Intel Centrino Core Duo (or Core 2 Duo). What is you budget? Another good processor line would be the AMD Athlon 64 X2/FX. You want to aim at having at least 512KB L2 Cache, and an FSB higher than 533MHz. Remember, a 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 3500+ is rated at 3.5GHz so it can be tricky at first. Basically what I have noticed with the AMD line is the last numbers signify the rated speed.

EDIT:
If you are replacing your cpu, you also need to replace your motherboard, if you didn't already know that.

Hello and Welcome to Techspot!! :)

If you're looking for a laptop processor, an Intel Celeron M, Intel Pentium M, Intel Core Duo, and AMD Turion 64 (or Turion 64 X2) are great processors.

Their speeds are normally above 1 GHZ, all the way up to 2 GHZ or probably a bit more.

It really depends on how much can you afford for it.

Regards :wave:

Ok

Thanks...techspot seems great.

I really dont have a budget set out yet.
I dont want to pay $2,000 for a laptop but I know I'm going to be above $1,000.

I just know I need it to be more powerful then a 2ghz P3 setup.
Preferably twice as fast or close.

What is the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo?

New egg has these listed as processor types...
AMD Mobile Athlon 64
AMD Mobile Sempron
AMD Turion 64
AMD Turion 64 X2
Intel Celeron
Intel Celeron M
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Core Duo
Intel Core Solo
Intel Pentium M

What ones have the potential to be the most powerful? Or atleast close to doubling a P3 2ghz system?

You guys are quick and really helpful... thank you so much!

The Core 2 Duo line is by far the best for laptops right now, and its not even that costly compared to Core Duo or Turion X2. The core 2 duo is probably 3 Times as fast as a celeron D. Celeron D is about equal to a PIII. Download SUPER PI, so we can compare times for the 1MB run. I got 29 Seconds with the cheapest Core 2 Duo

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

brain4000 said:
Thanks...techspot seems great.

I really dont have a budget set out yet.
I dont want to pay $2,000 for a laptop but I know I'm going to be above $1,000.

I just know I need it to be more powerful then a 2ghz P3 setup.
Preferably twice as fast or close.

What is the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo?

New egg has these listed as processor types...
AMD Mobile Athlon 64
AMD Mobile Sempron
AMD Turion 64
AMD Turion 64 X2
Intel Celeron
Intel Celeron M
Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Core Duo
Intel Core Solo
Intel Pentium M

What ones have the potential to be the most powerful? Or atleast close to doubling a P3 2ghz system?

You guys are quick and really helpful... thank you so much!

I believe that Core 2 Duo are CPU's for desktop systems, and Core Duo's are for laptops.
Obviously, the Core Duo is the fastest, but most expensive processor.

The Core 2 Duo laptops can be found for 950$ in best buy ad, with 2GB RAM, so they are cheap. Core 2 Duo is better than Turion X2, AND CHEAPER.

Core 2 Duo for laptops? I believe that the Core Duo (without the 2) is the CPU for laptops, not the Core 2 one. I may be wrong :eek:

Ah, the Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile CPU. Thanks for clearing that up nickslick :)

Then brain4000, the best mobile CPU is the Core 2 Duo Mobile. Should beat any Turion and previous Core Duo's and Pentium M's.
But I'm sure it may be expensive.

brain4000 said:
With all of your help I think I may go with the Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz.
According to http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2808
the Core 2 duo processors should get a pretty decent increase in speed next year.

Here is the laptop I think I'm getting aswell...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834117388

Seems pretty good to me.
Thanks again

It seems like a decent price, especially when using one of the most powerful processors out there. I personally don't like laptops, but that's my thing.

I love laptops, I've just borrowed one, and I love it. It's a low-end one (1GHZ Celeron M CPU, 512RAM, Intel "Extreme" graphics), and it even managed to play Re-Volt and Red Ace Squadron lol :haha:

Dont get that one, there raping you on the price! I saw one in best buy with a bigger screen, double the RAM and same processor for 950$!

It could be that sony brand logo. As F1N3ST said your are getting ripped off. There are a lot of better deals. Check out eBay there are always killer deals there.

To answer your question. GHZ is the frequency or speed measured for the CPU. All the other info is what family and step it belongs too

CrossFire851 said:
It could be that sony brand logo. As F1N3ST said your are getting ripped off. There are a lot of better deals. Check out eBay there are always killer deals there.

I would stay away from eBay with computer components. You never know what they have been through, or if the person has done something and broke the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back