Do I have to go through Dell to upgrade my system's RDRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so I have a Dell Dimension 8250, 2.4Mhz P4, with the standard 128Mb RDRAM. it takes PC1066, 533 Mhz RDRAM. I want to upgrade my RAM, and I am getting conflicting information from several different sources that say I either *must* or *do not have to* purchase RDRAM for my computer through Dell. I would just go through Dell for it, but they want around 350 bucks or something for 2 sticks of 256Mb RDRAM. other sites sell it for as little as around 150 bucks for a pair. I might as well buy a new computer if it's going to cost over 300 bucks for 512 Mb of RAM. Dell's tech support is worthless. within the same conversation, with 2 different people, the tech support guys told me I HAVE to go through Dell, and then later in the conversation they said that I could buy from another vendor, and the only difference would be that if anything went wrong with the computer or memory, they wouldn't help me. can someone please help me with this?

biastad said:
ok, so I have a Dell Dimension 8250, 2.4Mhz P4, with the standard 128Mb RDRAM. it takes PC1066, 533 Mhz RDRAM. I want to upgrade my RAM, and I am getting conflicting information from several different sources that say I either *must* or *do not have to* purchase RDRAM for my computer through Dell. I would just go through Dell for it, but they want around 350 bucks or something for 2 sticks of 256Mb RDRAM. other sites sell it for as little as around 150 bucks for a pair. I might as well buy a new computer if it's going to cost over 300 bucks for 512 Mb of RAM. Dell's tech support is worthless. within the same conversation, with 2 different people, the tech support guys told me I HAVE to go through Dell, and then later in the conversation they said that I could buy from another vendor, and the only difference would be that if anything went wrong with the computer or memory, they wouldn't help me. can someone please help me with this?
I've got the same ram as you, but in a Gateway. I checked there prices and they were only slightly higher than what I found elsewhere. The cheapest I found was about $105 each. or $210 per pair. On my Gateway, I don't have to get it from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back