do i need drivers for my new dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragez0r

hi, i had a regular dvd burner in my pc... worked fine.. now i installed a new 1 which can burn DL .. so im happy bout that.. its LG GSA-H10A.. so now i load up nero with the dvd in the disk.. put about 8 gigs or so but nero sais its still over 4.5 gigs ?!?!?! do i need to install new drivers for this ? i uninstalled the old dvd burner drivers b4 plugging this 1 in... did i miss something ??

You don't need any drivers.
So you put in a DL disc and it says that only 4GB is available. What version of NERO?

i installed a newer version of nero..found a dl disk...
but the burn failed

4:44:41 AM #36 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Burn process failed at 2x (2,770 KB/s)

i have the whole log file if anyone can read it.... is it a 1 time thing ? or is something wrong ?

First check to see if the Burner i operating in DMA or PIO mode. look in device manager under "IDE ATA ATAPI Contollers" look on the channel your drive is on ( probably secondary) look in the advanced tab and it will show if the device is operating in DMA or Pio. if it shows PIO then uninstall the Channnel the drive is on and reboot. widnows will automatically reinstall the channel and the drive when it restarts. it should then be in DMA mode.

also did you make sure that the new drive is jumpered the same as the drive it replaced? New DVd burners usually come jumpered as master by default. and they shoud be master ont he secondary channel, unless you are using SATA hard drives then they can be master on the primary IDE channel.

yeah, when i start nero, it sais somethign about dma.. when i say yes.. it sais... dma "enabled" for my dvd burner... but not my dvd rom/cdrw.. so i dont carea bout that.. but i guess as long as the dvd burner is dma its good ?

also yeah.. the jumper is secondary master.. i remember when i got my 1st burner.. it didnt wanna burn right so i was told to put it on sec master.. i put the jumper on the exact same spot as the last dvd burner.. (since their lg, figured its the same jumper configuration no ?)

as for ide/ata atapi.. i looked in secondary
and device 0 is set to pio but uses ultra dma.. device 1 is set to pio and uses pio... so... u think its secondary channel ? cuz primary are both set to dma and uses ultra dma...

what do i do now.. cuz now lol i think im over my head heheh

Your DVD Roma and DVD burner are on the same IDE cable. they BOTH need to be operating in DMA. windows sets a optical drive to PIO mode after a certain number of times the device has caused a problem. folow the instructions from my first post and that should get the Rom into DMA mode. if it does not, then the drive itself is faulty and should be replaced.

well burns dvd's okay.. dunno about dl's now tho.. so i gotta test that.. thanks for the help
i th ink it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back