Do I need the extra power on the graphics card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hi all,

Ive got an XFX GeForce 7900GT. The graphics card has an extra 4 pin power connection on it.

My mobo is a Giga-Byte GA-965P-DS4 which beside the 24 pin main power connection has another regular 4 pin IDE power connection which is supposed to be connected to supply extra power to the PCIe x16 slot.

Is it only advised to use one or should I use both???

Damien

do you mean i should just use the 4 pin IDE connector on the mobo and not the 4 pin connector on the graphics card???

Hi,

Sorry, the power connector on the graphics card is actually a 6 pin and the one the mobo is a 4 pin IDE (for supplying extra power to the PCIe x16 slot), like a power connector on a hard disk or CD-ROM.

I just need to know which one to use or both its that OK??

I dont want to just plug both in and blow up the card!!

User manual doesn't say anything about a situation where you have the extra power connector on the mobo. It just says that I should connect the 6 pin power connector on the card to the PSU.

Damien

damienb said:
I dont want to just plug both in and blow up the card!!
It's designed to have both plugged in.

The 4-pin on the motherboard is for the CPU (12v) and the 20+4 ATX- the 4-pins there are for 5v/3.3v lines and grounds. Neither are meant to be assumed for "PCI-Express" as these feed off the main 12v rails.

3rd party cards are designed to have their own, external power in order to be assurred clean amps and possibly circuit protected amps on the 12v power rail. So you are meant to have the 6-pin PCI-Express power connected for best/safest results.

No. There is a 24 pin mains power connector for the mobo. Thats plugged in already. But there is an extra 4 pin IDE connectot about an inch away from that. The user manual for the motherboard states that the extra power connector is specifically for connecting power from the PSU for supplying extra power to the PCI Express x16 slot which obviously has my graphics card in it..

Still say both???

It's usually only required if you use two video cards. Molex connector is the correct term. The manual is very helpful, ''Connect this connector depending on your system requirements."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back