Do i really need a fan for my GeForce 6600 GT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzjunction

hi,

ive got a XFX geforce 6600 GT, and the fan on it is very loud. i don't plan on overclocking and using the card for basic uses. no games or anything.

can i just yank the fan out?

im running on an asus P4pe motherboard with a zalman cnps7700 fan...
intel p4 2.4 mhz
and 1 120mm fan in the front of the case blowing through the hard drives on "silent" mode......

thanks!

No you can't, the card will overheat even when running 2D (unless you seriously underclock it). You can install silent ones such as the Zalman VF700.

You can always try to install the Gainward Expertool which allows you to makes the fan run at different speeds depending on the workload & heat output. The thermal probe on the 6600GT needs to be active though & some brands disabled it for some reason.

That will not work, that cooler was made for cards from the 1st generation of Radeons & GeForce. If you're lucky you could get the [http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013]ZM80D-HP[/url] to work without a fan but I doubt it.

Have you tried the Gainward utility ?

It lets you play around with the fan speed but like I said, the thermal probe on your card needs to be enabled.

DZJunction, I have a 6800ultra graphics card and the fan on that is pretty quite, is your card very old? as it sound to me like it could be a fault with the fan, they are audible but shouldnt be that loud.

Rick.

it is the loudest source in my PC.....

so yeah i plan on going with a zalman vf700. this should do the trick very nicely!

thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back