Do not get Enter Network Password dialog box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a network with XP as host (& access to internet) and a PC with 98se as a client. After MUCH trial & MANY errors I have file sharing, internet access and printer sharing. Very, very happy except for:
1 - The XP takes almost 1 minute to find the 98se. Then every thing is great.
2 - When stating or rebooting the 98se it can not find the XP UNTIL I log off. This is when I first get a dialog box (Enter Network Password). After explorer restarts everything is great until next start up.
This seems to be a setting, unchecked box or registry setting problem but I can not find anything to tweak to fix it.
ANY help or ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

instead of logging off or rebooting, can you please next time open a command prompt, and type:

ipconfig /renew

and then tell me if this sorts the problem. you may have to run this on both computers.

I have a network with XP as host (& access to internet) and a PC with 98se as a client.

do you mean that the XP machine has the internet connection, and the 98e box is getting served that connection from XP machine?

go onto both machines, and type

ipconfig /all > c:\info.txt

open c:\info.txt with notepad, and paste the results here, do this on both machines and mark which one is which.

By the way, the networking in win9x operating systems is crap. Upgrade your computers on your home LAN to use Windows 2000 or Windows XP, Linux, anything pretty much is better than win9x.

Here is what I have -
XP machine is connected to the net and is the host to the 98se PC. I can ping both IP and name from and to each PC and have no problem. When I go to explorer on the XP machine and open network connections it takes over a minute to expand to show the 98 PC. I can then share files (transfer both in and out of each machine).
When I start or reboot the 98 machine I get no Enter Network Password dialog box. I have internet connection at this point on the 98 machine but not file sharing or printer sharing. I can pint both IP and name of XP. If I do a search for XP I get a find but location is unknown. If I then go to start and log off I get the Enter Network Password dialog box but Norton virus program does not load. After Windows comes up I have full sharing with the XP machine (with not wait on the 98 machine).

My question is how do I get the dialog box to come up when I first reboot,
and, how do I speed up the XP machine to find the 98 machine?

Originally posted by Phantasm66
instead of logging off or rebooting, can you please next time open a command prompt, and type:

ipconfig /renew

and then tell me if this sorts the problem. you may have to run this on both computers.

Doesn't he need to do ipconfig /release first?

Or since he doens't have connection can he only do renew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back