Do tech sites get to keep the hardware they review?

erwin1978

do tech sites get to keep the hardwares sent to them for review?

I've been wondering: do tech sites get to keep the hardwares sent to them for review? That sure would be nice and makes me want to do the same. I just imagine some of these people have 10 Geforce3 and after they review them they give them away to friends and family and the following week they get a Geforce4.

Depends on the company the hardware's from I guess. I've an eVGA GeForce 4 MX 440 for example that's been given to us on the condition it's giveaway after review.
Most of the other stuff has been for keeps but I've given away a good few of those as prizes anyway, or sold them to my friends, or stuck them into my second PC.

That's what I'm talking about. I wish I'm in your shoes. I can just imagine Geforce4 cards flocking in my doorway everyday. Oh what a great time I will have.

Like Thomas said, it always depends on the manufacturer and what they are sending... usually standard peripherals (videocards, sound, mobos) are being sent for keeping, but other stuff like monitors have to be returned.

Don't get too excited about it though, as maintaining a good tech website probably won't take you less than 4 hours a day, and that's when you aren't doing much, but then again, getting the hardware is part of the fun.

You'll also get tired of writing the reviews for them ;)
Benchmarking is not fun, least not repeated tests, different resolution, with anti-aliasing, & or anisotropic, etc.

Back