Do you have problems with radeon 9800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badsearcher

Read on if you have a radeon 9800 and it crashes a few seconds whenever you play any 3d game or application.

(short version:Try changing your agp voltage to 15.5 to see if the card will not crash, read on for more details)

On my old mother board (an ecs 640fx-a) I used to have the aforementioned problem, and I was able to make the computer usable and playable by going into directx and disabling agp texture acceleration, which made the computer completely functional for gaming and work EXCEPT the radeon 9800 (xt in my case, but it also failed when I used to have a pro) worked at (rough estimate) 70% full speed. I tried nearly everything mentioned here that I could except for altering the agp voltage, which on my old motherboard was set to an unchangeable default of 15.0 V.

Now I upgraded to a new a-bit V17, and the radeon 9800 xt works perfectly with agp texture acceleration enabled, and I can totally see the difference in performance (though I see that I will need to upgrade from 512 mb ram to 1024) in doom 3.

So I looked into the bios settings for the agp voltage (which is a changeable feature on my motherboard) and I noticed that the agp voltage was set to a default, of not 15.0 V or 16.0 (as some people advised to do on this forum), but it was set to 15.5 V. Now I am practically convinced that this is the root of the problem so many people have been having, (not smartwrite or anything like that) and after classes I will set the voltage to 15 to see whether the old symptoms come back, but until then, if you are having problems and you can change it to 15.5, then try that.

I believe there's a slight decimal error, voltages should be divided by ten.

Hopefully no board has an option to set AGP voltages that high.

well I remember reading (don't know where) once that you should try setting it to 15 or 16 or 17 or even 18, but never 15.5, and I never heard anyone mention that they tried using 15.5, so I'm going to go set my motherboard to 15.0 (fyi, it ranges from 15.0 v to 16.5 v) as an experiment and see if the symptoms return, if they do then I will be convinced that 15.0 v is the problem and 15.5 v is the solution.

15.5v????

badsearcher said:
Read on if you have a radeon 9800 and it crashes a few seconds whenever you play any 3d game or application.

(short version:Try changing your agp voltage to 15.5 to see if the card will not crash, read on for more details)

On my old mother board (an ecs 640fx-a) I used to have the aforementioned problem, and I was able to make the computer usable and playable by going into directx and disabling agp texture acceleration, which made the computer completely functional for gaming and work EXCEPT the radeon 9800 (xt in my case, but it also failed when I used to have a pro) worked at (rough estimate) 70% full speed. I tried nearly everything mentioned here that I could except for altering the agp voltage, which on my old motherboard was set to an unchangeable default of 15.0 V.

Now I upgraded to a new a-bit V17, and the radeon 9800 xt works perfectly with agp texture acceleration enabled, and I can totally see the difference in performance (though I see that I will need to upgrade from 512 mb ram to 1024) in doom 3.

So I looked into the bios settings for the agp voltage (which is a changeable feature on my motherboard) and I noticed that the agp voltage was set to a default, of not 15.0 V or 16.0 (as some people advised to do on this forum), but it was set to 15.5 V. Now I am practically convinced that this is the root of the problem so many people have been having, (not smartwrite or anything like that) and after classes I will set the voltage to 15 to see whether the old symptoms come back, but until then, if you are having problems and you can change it to 15.5, then try that.

when you say 15.5v, don't you mean 1.55v. last time i checked, my 9800 pro run's at 1.5v.....???? hhhmm?
also, i've not had a single problem with mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back