Do you smoke cigars?

acidosmosis

Do you smoke cigars? If so what is your favorite cigar?

By Cigars I mean "real" cigars. Arturo Fuente, Partagas, CAO, Romeo Y Juliet, Cuesta Rey, etc. If your smoking those backbar dry cigars such as Black N Mild then your not smoking a real cigar and your not an "elite" smoker . If you ever smoke a real cigar you will never go back to the backbar cigars.

The first time I smoked a cigar was when I was in college in Tampa Bay and worked at a store called "Smoke N Snuff" in the local mall. We had a large humidified room full of hundreds of different cigars. Your first good cigar smoke will be a rewarding one :).

I'm just curious how many of you smoke cigars. What are your favorite cigars? Why are they your favorites? Where do you like to smoke a good cigar?

In my experience with cigars, most tend to be of a length where you need at least a good hour to smoke. I've had customers come in that would purchase a 9" or so long cigar, planning to go to a horse race. I've even seen 12" cigars, though no one seemed to have the stomach to buy one hehe. I can't blame them because most people can't smoke a 9" cigar much less a 12".

Cigars come in either Natural or Maduro. The natural is a light wrapper, and the maduro is a dark wrapper. These shades depend on such things as the light the cigar leaf was grown in.

Then you have the different strengths of cigars. Medium, Mild, etc..
For instance Hoyo De Monterrey cigars are very mild and strong cigars, though you CAN purchase stronger cigars. The Romeo Y Juliet cigar seems to be a favorite of first time cigar smokers (was also mine) due to it being a light cigar with an attractive leaf and wrapper.

I haven't smoked a cigar in about 2 years now. I plan on purchasing a few Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classics and Signatures soon, and some Cuest Ray Pyramid's. If you have any suggestions on what else to try, they are welcome! :D

maduro is a little rich

and the arturo fuente has a bite......the macanudo are very common and are probably the most cost effective ........especially the miniatures......i like the mild version of this smoke, and opt for the miniatures, as it is pretty tough to down a dog terd in one sitting............

if i were to buy a

large cigar, i would segment it .....so as not to have to relight the thing(not quite the same as a fresh smoke)..........it's like two for one........

I normally smoke at least an 8-2-8 size cigar to around a pyramid style. Hehe, yea, try smoking half a cigar, sitting it down then relighting it later. Not a good idea, as you probably know.

Cuesta Rey, heck yea man.. Not sure which one I was smoking at the time around when I quit smoking cigars (I left Tampa Bay and there aren't really any shops around here). I believe I was smoking the Pyramid #9 or #2? Not sure. Was a good cigar though. They are definately in the top two favorites of mine as far as cigars, Arturo Fuente being first.

Smoking cigars is for gay losers that are too much in touch with their feminine side. Just my opinion ($0.02).

PS: Only kidding, but you've got to wonder about what's so good about smoking. The pleasure is all in the mind, and smoking a cigar keeps your hands occupied while you're relaxing. I don't get it really. I've tried smoking (cigarettes, cigars - inc. good cuban cigars, etc.), but I have never had any pleasure from it, except that it helps to keep biting insects from making you their next meal. You're litteraly watching your hard earned cash go up in smoke. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to whats so good about smoking, as I just don't get it. However, if it floats your boat, then by all means continue, just don't do it in public.

I usually smoke (way too many) cigarettes, but every now and then I'll take a cigar instead...

Don't really have a "brand" of cigars... It depends on what I have/my father has, and the occasion...

I like them a bit light, though not too "sweet"... (Ie. not too chocolate...)

Only real problem I have with cigars is to remember not to inhale... Every so often I'll take a real deep breath, forgetting it's not a cigarette... Not fun....

LOL nic. I obviously don't smoke cigars, as I am not old enough. If I was, I still wouldn't smoke them as they are for old men ;) ; no offence to anyone here.

I wonder what Freud would have to say about cigar smoking. Anyone have an answer?

i have found

the reason for cigars.......other than relaxing..............was that cigs contained 100+ chemicals...formaldehyde/rat poison/ cow dung/ you name it......for some reason.........even without filters..........and, to even inhale(bill clinton).......did not affect the airways........or, have the side effects of cigs...........so, they actually helped me ween off cigs and stay healthier by only occaisionally smoking.....and, not being too affected when i did.............although i would concur that none of it is good for you............but, neither is stress...........as for freud, he and richard simmons would have had a blast........

timmoore wrote;
I still wouldn't smoke them as they are for old men
Yeah, timmoore, it's nice to be old and sit on the top floor of the building in a corner office with a view, and your feet up on your desk, with a good cigar, and a good looking secretary to bring you a cup of coffee. A nice cup of coffee goes good after a good cigar.

LMAO. JSR and olefarte. Props to you. That was funny convo.

Yes, as he said the purpose of cigar smoking is to sit down and relax, and it really isnt as bad as smoking cigarettes, because you don't inhale. Although you do inhale a BIT of the smoke without actually meaning to, which is where you get your "relaxing" small buzz from cigars on occasion. Very small amount is inhaled if your doing it right though. I've known some "veteran" cigar smokers to inhale 2-3 times on each cigar, but very lightly.

And yea, if you inhale a lot of the smoke at once, be prepared to get sick :)

I used to buy them when I worked in Haiti. There you bargain for everything, and if I was lucky I could get them for $75 a box, no more than a $100 if I was unlucky. I don't smoke them anymore, but I don't think you can get them in the US anyway.

acid - your slight inhaling on an accidental note of cigar smoke doesn't create the buzz. cigar smoke is basic (not acidic like cigarette smoke) and that allows the nicotine to be absorbed by the tissues in the mouth and throat, eliminating the need to inhale

Edit - it appears I was misinformed according to this site: http://www.geocities.com/lungdoctor_tn/Tobacco_Addiction.htm
But after reading that I begin to wonder why cigars (good ones) can have a way stronger nicotine buzz than can cigarettes.

Olefarte, you mean you can't get Montecristo's in the U.S.? I worked at a cigar shop and we had Montecristos? Or did I misunderstand what you said?

I don't smoke anymore, but I thought since they were from Cuba you couldn't get them in the US. How much do they cost in the US. Maybe I didn't get the deal I thought I did.

Edit; Don't smokem anymore because my wife can't stand them.

You should all stop smoking. It destroys your lungs and causes cancer, worsens asthma and other lung diseases. It kills people in their middle age, when they might have else lived until they are older. Its also expensive and smelly and doesn't do much to attract the opposite sex.

This is me being somewhat hypocritical, because I am an ex-smoker. Stopping smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life but it was well worth it. I will never start again.

good phant

there are many things in this life that will put us 6' under............and we all have a ticket..........oldest man just died here in the states(113).........drank and smoked till he died............now alchohol is good for heart disease........i am not a proponent of any of these habits.....for me, just a way to relieve stress.......another killer.......so, weather i step off a curb tomorrow, or live to be a hundred.......i can't throw my checkbook in to my casket......i'm goin' out my way:angel:

Many brands have cuban and non-cuban variations like Monte Cristo. I enjoy a good cigar every once in a while. Here's a list of some of my favorites: Padron 4000/5000, Macanudo Duke of Devon Robusto, Fuente 858 Maduro, and Fuente Don Carlos #2. I only occasionally smoke cigars; I typically average about 1 cigar a month, if that.

Back