Does CPU just have to match the socket number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostfuze

I have a quick question about how CPU and mobo's go together. I'm completely new to all of this, and everyone here seems really helpful. :cool:

As I have described in other threads i'm having trouble finding a motherboard for my Intel Celeron 2.50GHz 845GV CPU. The Socket number is 478.

Does my CPU just have to match the 478 socket, or is it deeper than that?

Any info on this would be great.. and if someone could explain how all of this works, it would be even greater. It's driving me crazy. :rolleyes:

If you want to help me even more... here is another thread of mine. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21629.html

Thanks!

cpu

A processor has to have the same socket type and also has to be a front side bus speed that the motherboard supports. Celerons have 400 (or 533 fsb for celeron D)fsb speeds. A motherboard that supports all pentium4/celeron speeds would work (400,533,800fsb). Here is a pretty good one.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-256&depa=0
It has 4 dual channel memory slots so it will have room for expansion, supports 400, 533, and 800fsb, and it has agp 8x(it also has a built in ati 9200 graphics card, so you don't need a graphics card if you don't need high end graphics).

Are you sure your cpu is a 2.5? I've never heard of that. I've seen 2.4 and 2.6.
Here's the motherboard cpu compatibility sheet, but it doesn't list 2.5, but both 2.4 and 2.6 are listed. 2.5 might be a "special" manufacturers only processor. It should work in this board.http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_GA-8TRS350MT.htm

hey lost fuze i already posted in your other post.

so the answer is duh!!!!.you bet ...a 478 pin means the processor has 478 pins and would fit in only a 478 pin socket.get it ....no big calculations to it,pretty simple and easy.a 478 pin would fit in a 478 pin socket.(not so hard)
as for the 845gv you keep quoting its just your mobo chipset and stays in your mobo(its based on this chipset)when you buy an new one you get a different mobo but try to get the same chipset nothing like lga775 based 925/915xe they would not fit your cpu.also get a mobo witha lot of features like 5.1 audio onboard and a fast agp port etc.bottom line no pci express,no lga775with915/925xe if you want them to work with your current processor.

Some Intel Celerons are Socket 478 and some are not. Some have different bus speeds also. Some are 400Mhz and some are 533 Mhz. Pay attention to the socket type. Some celerons use the new socket T sockets. A 533Mhz Celeron also has a larger Cache size and will give you better results.

You might be well off with a 800 Mhz i865 series motherboard. It is harder to find the I845 series chipset motherboards.

cpu

Ok, you have a 2.5ghz celeron(not a D) with a 400mhz fsb, in socket 478. This means the motherboard you choose has to be socket 478 and it has to support a 400mhz fsb. If it meets those specifications, it should work fine. A chipset is a set of chips on the motherboard that determine what features/specifications the motherboard can have like memory, cpu type, agp type, fsb speed support, etc.

Thank you vnf4ultra! People like you should be given a medal. You answered what I wanted to know exactly. :)

cpu

I'm glad that my information was helpful. Have you found any motherboard that you think would work?

Yeah.. I found this motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-157-034&depa=0

But now im thinking about just buying a PCI card and 512MB RAM and adding it to my current machine until I can afford a better machine in a year or 2.

Do you think it would be best to buy a new case, mobo, ram, and agp card or just buy a pci card and ram until I can afford a whole new computer? I can always add onto the new case and stuff, but im completely lost on what to do and what would suit me best.

I wouldn't go with the Asrock why would you want a 128mb video card if you have a celerno. :hotbounce

mobo/cpu

If you do get a new mobo, be sure to get one that fits your case. Many manufacturers use micro atx motherboards to make their cases smaller. There is a pretty high chance your case will only fit a matx mobo. Atx is standard, micro atx (matx) is smaller. You can tell by how many pci slots your mobo has. About 3 pci =matx, 5-6 pci =atx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back