Does it really matter which HD I download my software to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer came with one hard drive, but I added a second drive because the primary is nearly full. I use the second HD for my videos for the most part.

My operating system (Windows XP Hom Edition) and and everything else is on the original (primary) “C” drive.

Today I downloaded an updated driver for my graphics card. Instead of downloading it to my C drive, I "saved" it to my large slave (jumper is set to CS per WD) drive.

I have not attempted to install this updated driver yet because I started thinking maybe I should have downloaded it to my primary C drive. I began to wonder if the driver will install properly from drive F, or if the hardware (graphics card) will operate properly if the updated driver is installed this way.

Does it really matter which hard drive "updates" or other "software"are downloaded to before they're installed?

I don't understand the relationship between two different hard drives, the hardware (in this case the graphics card), and the software (updated driver in this case). Could someone explain how the software gets installed in the hardware? Or does it really get installed on the hardware? As you can see, I'm a novice and need your help to learn this process.

When I install the updated driver, will the install work just good as if it had been downloaded to the C drive?

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

If is a regular device driver download then you will be fine. I download all my drivers to a specific folder on a seperate drive all the time.

It's actually firmware that I found (with help) at nVIDIA's webpage.....version 71.89.

I have a nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 model 64 (HP) graphic card....and it has the original driver......bought the computer in Oct. 2001.

Does the fact that the update driver I downloaded being firmware change your response?

The software you're describing is a graphics card driver, not firmware. They aren't the same thing. Anyway, it doesn't matter where you downloaded the driver file. It will install from the source drive to the proper drive and folder automatically. For example, you could have a copy of the driver file on a floppy in the A drive, on a CD in an optical drive, on a USB flash drive or any partitioned drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back