Does motherboard upgrade affects harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake-the-peg

I am thinking of replacing my old P4 motherboard with newer p4, but would it work with my existing hard drive, since I do not want to lose my installed programs? Or would I have to format the hard drive. (Windows XP Pro)Regard, jake-the-peg.

Your Windows XP will most likely not work with a new MB. It's the same as buying a different computer. You can not drop in a Hard Drive with OS from another PC.

If you have your copy of Win XP, you have to call Microsoft and tell them you installed a new MB. They will then ask you if your copy of Win XP Pro is installed on any other computer. If the answer is NO, they give you a code. Use this code do a repair install of Win XP. Your data and programs will still be there.

I believe there is a sticky on this BB with instruction on how to do a Win XP repair install.

Many thanks for the advice Tango Trolly, I suspected that would be the case. It was just that, previously a friend said that I would have to format the drive, and thats what gave me the nightmare, since formatting would have wiped out everything.

jake-the-peg
Glad I could help. Let us know how you make out with your new MB installation. We're always curious to hear about the final outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back