Does my motherboard support external USB booting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjohnson

First of all I have a ASUS M2N SLI Delux NVIDIA nForce 570. I was in my bios and think I found where it says I can, but I just want a second opinion so that I know for sure. In my BIOS I went to "Advanced" then I went to "PCInP" from there there was two options the first one was "Plug and Play" and it was set to "NO". The second one was "Resources controlled by" and it was set to "Auto". When clicked on the "resouces" one, on the right hand side where a explination or something of what you are clicked on said, "BIOS can automaticly configure all the boot and plug and play compatible devices. If you choose Auto you cannot select IRQ, DMA and memory base address feilds, since BIOS autimaticly assigns them." Now to me that sounds like my board supports plug and play boot devices. Any help is great thanks.

I am getting linux and instead of putting it on my hard drive I already have in my case I am going to put it on an external. I have a extra IDE hard drive laying around so I am going to get external case for it.

Please remember that external hard drive enclosures are not designed for long term use and tend to boild hard drives!

Good point rik. Hadn't though of that before. Maybe I will just get a IDE to SATA adapter from newegg for $15 and stick the HD in my case. It'll be cheaper that way to. Thanks for the help rik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back