"Don't Buy Your Next PC Just Yet. Honest"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, I am thinking very hard about not spending money in little bits here and there on hardware upgrades for at least a year or so, and then using the money to buy something completely new then.

I'm with ya Phantasm- I will game with my current set up- Play D3 and Halo 2 (if they ever come out) on the old Xbox and save my ducats for a wiz-bang system in a year or so-

Yeah then it will be 64-bit time!

;)

Or maybe this "terrabyte of disk space you need" for Windows Whatsimanextit !?

;)

I think things like that may be a part of it.

Well, with 500GB drives coming out this autumn, you'll at least be able to break the terrabyte limit quite easily.

And I partially agree with you.
I'll most likely upgrade my videocard and cpu (if I can use a better cpu on this motherboard) but after that save up for a totally new rig.
Reason I'll upgrade those two things is that I want a top-notch system for playing older games & such, since this will then be my last AGP/PCI system with PATA drives etc.

It's strange how different forums react to subject matter.

I posted this link on the Sysopt forum and, surprisingly, there were over 1500 views and four plus pages of replies.

But the response here is more or less what I expected.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk

I'm thinking now that I should have saved money and stuck with my NF7-S and stuck a mobile barton in it.
Instead I got a 754 Athlon64 system. Haven't played much with the WinXP 64bit beta but it didn't seem to run that well :S

I'm hoping to make this system last a little over a year so that I can switch to a BTX, DDR2, PCI-e system then.

Yeah... BTX, DDR2, PCI Express, 64-bit, dual core, etc....

These are the things I am waiting for.

And I think my current machines will last till then.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
And I think my current machines will last till then.

I might have to build a second system before then though ;)
Only have the one just now. Sorely tempted to make an ickle Shuttle A64 system.

Originally posted by Eric Legge
It's strange how different forums react to subject matter.

I posted this link on the Sysopt forum and, surprisingly, there were over 1500 views and four plus pages of replies.

But the response here is more or less what I expected.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk

Well the thing is a lot of people here have been in the "tech world" for quite a while & we've seen technology come & go. We don't jump on every new tech that comes out, well except for Arris of course.:p

Eric, most of us here already knew about this stuff before you even posted. We keep up to date with all the latest news, so your post wasn't particularly fresh.

I think this next machine will HAVE to be a complete monster.... certainly anything less than 2GB RAM would be a waste of time, as we would need at least 2 CPUS, each with 2 cores, 64-bit.

Now, I've had RAID 0 and RAID 1, and even RAID 10, but I think in this next machine I will be looking to purchase some kind of SATA RAID 5 controller card. Minimum 1 TB disk space.

Graphics - probably the best sub-£500 card on the market at the time.

Probably inside some kind of cuboid server container for a case - BTX of course.

Originally posted by Didou
Well the thing is a lot of people here have been in the "tech world" for quite a while & we've seen technology come & go. We don't jump on every new tech that comes out, well except for Arris of course.:p

HEY! I have to fill the void that is my life with something :D

I was looking at a review somewhere on this new Cooler Master CMStacker Case. It can be configured ans BTX or ATX and has the mounting brackets for 2 power supplies one in the top and one in the bottom and comes with a special adapter to hook them together. They claim it has space for 11 hard drives. The entire front is basically full of drive slots. Probably costs a fortune.

I wouldn't care is Wintel is reinventing the wheel, I wouldn't buy or use a Wintel product (other than the O/S)! Stop supporting the Wintel machine!

I'll stick with AMD thank you...................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back