Don't know what to do about a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemini2281

Don't know what to do about a video card and power supply.

I put my computer info in my profile. I think I got everything. Here is my problem. My computer came with a video supply (i guess you would call it) Anyway it does not have its own separate memory so it takes from my ram I think. I'm not sure of all the technical words. So now I want to get a new video card that is now too expensive maybe up to 200 dollars. But I don't know what kind to get. What is the best or any of that. Oh and I was told it might be a problem because I have PCI slots. I almost forgot, I don't know what my power supply is but is there any way if it is too small to get more power? I am trying to slowly make this a better machine any help is appreciated.

That PC looks very similar to my Dell Dimension 2400 except for the RAM. Just like with me, the PCI slots will be severely limiting. Here is what I’ve gathered on these boards. The higher on the list, the better it performs.

Fx 5700le
Fx 5500
Radeon 9250
Fx 5200

By the way, I'm no expert at this stuff either. But all of those cards should cost less than $100. Make sure you get the 128-bit memory interface versions of each. You should be able to see it in the advertisements or box when you buy it. If it says 64-bit, stay clear.

As for power supply, I don't know what kind you have, but I believe these PCI cards don't take too much.

I just looked on newegg and searched for video cards and I only found these 2 that are 128-bit. I am wondering how good they are.

It's odd that the fx 5500 costs $94 at Newegg, but you can get it from the manufacturer (PNY) for $79.

I ordered one from Buy.com for $66 but they haven't delivered it yet :mad:

Of course, I chose the free delivery, so that takes like 7-9 days, but I'm getting impatient here. puke:

I'm sorry I can't give you any information on how good (bad?) the card is until I get it.

Well thank you I just looked on buy.com. I think I might order that one but you have been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back