Doom Eternal's second campaign DLC, The Ancient Gods Part 2 arrives tomorrow

Humza

Staff member
TL;DR: There's a lot going on in the trailer for Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 DLC, but then id Software has described the expansion as "an epic conclusion to the Doom Slayer saga." Dragons, mechs, new demons, and Sentinel armies are featured alongside a hammer-wielding Slayer as he finally confronts his archenemy, the Dark Lord and finishes off the story that began with the game's 2016 reboot.

Although Doom Eternal's main campaign wasn't exactly a sedate affair, the game really turned things up a notch in its first DLC, with challenging moments like facing off two Marauders simultaneously and taking down possessed demons throughout the expansion levels that required using a specific weapon and mod to finish off those pesky spirits.

Nonetheless, the game's highly-anticipated second DLC is now almost here, bringing with it several new enemies to kill and locations to explore as our demon slaying protagonist gathers the Night Sentinel warriors and prepares for a dramatic showdown with the Dark Lord and his Hell army.

The action-packed trailer also reveals the Sentinel Hammer, a new weapon in the Slayer's arsenal that should prove useful against existing foes and new ones like the Stone Imp, armoured Baron and the Cursed Prowler. There's also the Screecher that empowers nearby demons when killed, because why not.

The Ancient Gods, Part 2 expansion launches tomorrow for PC, Xbox One, PS4 and Stadia. Like the game's first DLC, it will be released as a standalone purchase, included in the game's Year One Pass, and will be playable for owners of the Deluxe Edition.

Permalink to story.

There was also the 2 marauders thing in the base game, in one of the redesigned extra stages (super gore nest?)
I'd say it was easily the hardest part of the game. You fight 2 marauders at the same time, and then also add radioactive stuff on the floor that can hurt you... took me so many times to beat that one. I still have yet to play Ancient Gods Part I, so I'll get to part 2 eventually.

There was also the 2 marauders thing in the base game, in one of the redesigned extra stages (super gore nest?)
I'd say it was easily the hardest part of the game. You fight 2 marauders at the same time, and then also add radioactive stuff on the floor that can hurt you... took me so many times to beat that one. I still have yet to play Ancient Gods Part I, so I'll get to part 2 eventually.

These new games are no longer “DOOM”.

Doom games focused on aggression. Not cutscenes, lore and gimmicks.

DOOM I and DOOM II were so much better.

These new games are no longer “DOOM”.

Doom games focused on aggression. Not cutscenes, lore and gimmicks.

DOOM I and DOOM II were so much better.
If you think DOOM Eternal doesn't have a focus on aggression, you haven't been paying attention. It's just using modern tools, DOOM 1 and II were literally incapable of cut scenes.

I just got Doom Eternal a month or so ago and it's awesome. I've already invested nearly 60 hours into the game between the main campaign and BattleMode and I haven't even started The Ancient Gods Part 1 yet. I never really considered myself a fan of the FPS genre but the gameplay, once you get the hang of it, is really addicting.

I wish but I can't do Doom Eternal...too much jumping and grabbing and timing

I fell off this game hard due to that.
The combat (and gameplay loop of combat even) is tons of frantic fun, but technical platforming in first person...if I wanted that I'd play the Xen levels from the original Half Life.

I fell off this game hard due to that.
The combat (and gameplay loop of combat even) is tons of frantic fun, but technical platforming in first person...if I wanted that I'd play the Xen levels from the original Half Life.
I am surprised you are comparing Xen to Doom eternal in terms of gameplay. They are not even close to each other....

In the sense of stupid platforming shoved into an otherwise solid first person shooter, they are.
ahh I get it now lol :))))
I agree that all that jumping and climbing were new in how we are dealing with the demons, but I kind of enjoyed it, I still had my BFG ;-)

ahh I get it now lol :))))
I agree that all that jumping and climbing were new in how we are dealing with the demons, but I kind of enjoyed it, I still had my BFG ;-)

FWIW, I'm being a bit over critical of it as well, just felt a bit clunky was all. I get that it was mostly to give a break from combat and add a little more variety to arenas.
Should fire it back up and give it another go. I did enjoy it over all.

Just in time for Stimulus (welfare) Checks eh?
Welfare is not really an accurate way to put it. I'm sure when corporations got their $2T package to companies that made record profits during the pandemic really needed corporate welfare. This time it is mostly going to people who have suffered during the pandemic. How people spend that money is on them. But buying a game over paying off bills that might have been building up isn't exactly a great smart financial decision. It's more like relief money this time around than stimulus or welfare.

Back