Doom3 Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
HardOCP has taken a look together with id Software on the performance of Doom3 on current hardware, a good read but I mind you to keep this quote from John Carmack in your mind while reading it:

It should be noted that all of the modern cards play the game very well, and benchmark scores should not be the be-all-end-all decision maker. Scores will probably improve somewhat with future driver releases, and other factors like dual slots or dual power connectors can weigh against some of the high end cards.

Go read their article.

well, i guess doom 3 favors the 6 series cards. as others, will favor the x800 ......as in HL2? interesting times.

Of course Doom 3 would run good on older machines, it's been also designed to run off the 750mhz Processor in the X-box also.

that's a new one

did you try and run the alpha leak? 7 to 15 frames is all i could muster on a 9800 pro and a 3200+ @ 400mhz/dc. now, w/ the new cards we are looking @ 50/60 frames. just playable.
VBO is a vendor independent mechanism for storing vertex data in fast graphics memory. video and agp. designed to replace nv vertex array range and ati vertex array object. here's a demo fromdelphi3d. http://www.delphi3d.net/download/arb_vbo.zip

Originally posted by DigitAlex
Vertex Buffer Objects

Exactly, it's one of the various rendering paths used by Doom3, i'd say it's the one used the most since it really optimizes buffer thingies.
Currently ATI has it completely the wrong way in it's drivers, something with static buffers i really don't understand

You haven't answered my questions and you keep avoiding the issue.

OGL uses Fragment/Vertex Programs and GLslang
D3D uses Pixel/Vertex Shaders

Please SOB could you avoid putting the beginning of your messages in the title and continuing in the text field, it's a little bit a pain in the arse to read. the title is there to put a title, the text to put the message. Thanks ;)

hey i just got myself a copy of doom3 and it runs on my machine. due to some technical reasons it got downgraded so i thought it wasnt going to play nicely. i have atm a ti4200 3200+ and 512mb ram. i run it at 1024x768 at high settings and it runs flawlessly. anyone thinking of upgrading just to play it give it a go on the old beasty rigs you got now. great game really scary 95% for me. got me a cool little figurine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back