DOS is still good for some things, like fixing windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to make a DOS boot disk that will load my SATA RAID drivers, kinda like what XP does, press F6, and get me to command prompt so I can use XCOPY on those drives.

I'm sure someone is going to ask why so heres the story. Stupid me installed my OS, XP Pro, on RAID 0 stripped, 2 250GB. Not smart. Now the partition table is screwed and I can't access it with anything except dos. XP recovery console blue screens, I installed a fresh copy of XP on another drive and if I even plug the drives in it blue screens on startup. Linux won't mount the partition because the table is screwed. But on some last ditch effort I popped the old win2000 pro in and went to the recovery console and bam it worked. I can see all my stuff. The problem is MS decided not to put xcopy on the list of repair tools and locked copy from being able to copy directories, just single files, and that might take awhile.

So if anyone has a better idea let me know. And please don't tell me to use linux. If I can use XCOPY it would be much quicker than trying to learn a bunch of linux.

Wow. After 4 evenings of trying to save my stuff I finally got somthing to work. I copied all of my most important files over to another HD one by one with COPY that is provided with win2000 rescue console. That took about two hours because there were a bunch of photos that my wife would have killed me if I had lost. Then I ran the FIXMBR. That didn't really fix anything, and I didn't expect it to, but I was then able to install XP on another partition of the same RAID. After the first restart it ran a chkdsk and fix the bad sectors or what ever, took about 10min, then completed installation and its fine.

Next order of business is the get off the RAID 0. Let me know if anyone has any theories to what happened. My guess is that the partition table was screwed and that clearing the mbr fixed it, or got rid of it, and allowed xp to fix the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back