Downloading ME OS?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

simran

Hi,

IF anyone can let me know where is it possible to download the ME Operating system from i would appreciate alot.

We have an old computer which we are thinking of giving away for free actually so a friend's kids can use it.........and well the original floppy that came with the computer from which we could install the op system from doesnt work anymore.

Thing is i want to do a reformat.........Then i will have to install the ME op system but i dont have a copy of this to install from. IN addition to this, cannot solve the problem by installing XP cause the recommended RAM is too less,

thanks for your help

I do believe what you are asking to download is illegal and not condoned at TS. Also how much RAM is on this system? I have never ran XP on less than 256. But there are some here that have ran in on machines with, I think, as little as 64mb.

Assuming that you have the license to use Windows Me on that machine (a sticker with the license key attached to the computer or a separate license printed on paper), just get an .iso image off a peer to peer network. When Microsoft comes asking, tell them that this is your backup copy that you are entitled to. (This would be illegal, but OK by common sense)

A more legal way would be to buy a CD off eBay or something similar.

BTW, Windows Me is a very old system that is no longer supported. Running it on a computer that is connected to the internet is bad, bad, bad idea.

thanks for the recommendations.............The only thing i want to do is a reformat for now so that when the comp is given away the files are not there.....

The ME product key is yes attached to the back of the machine with a sticker.....i think it was pure stupidity that a seperate disk was not given for ME.....

As for the floppy not working, I think it was since we gave the computer away for repair some years ago. The person took out the old hard drive and put in a replacement.........I dunno how they installed the op system after that but yeaa thats the story...

The RAM currently is 127MB......Last time when i installed XP the comp was very very slow so i uninstalled it again, this was couple of years agoo....but ah well i might as well do that again as a last resort.

thanks,

98 se is a good choice for what you have.
As for downloading i doubt if you can as a cd is needed with the key.
I can email the boot floppy files to allow you to format it.
Use a PM.

It will be extremely difficult to "find" a Windows ME that will work with that product ID pasted to the case.
Like nearly everyone on this list, I recommend you buy a common copy with ID of W98SE. It works much better without the required periodic reinstalls.

thanx for your help ppl.

I format the comp by making a boot disk first from add/remove progs

Now i have a copy of XP pro.......so i ended up installing that after doing the formatting. And i have to say wow.............it works quite fast :eek:................lol and this is my very first time doing reformatting a drive let along installing an op ssytem......but yes it works quite fast without the usuall junk software progs that were on it before on ME!!!.

SInce the comp is working sooo well...........and i installed my copy of XP Pro......lol dont really want the parents to give this away for free, after all my hardwork i put it :(

I have never ran XP on less than 256. But there are some here that have ran in on machines with, I think, as little as 64mb.

How about this config ?

Intel® Pentium 4 524 Processor (2 MB, 3.06Ghz, 533 FSB)
Intel® 946GZ original mainboard chipset
256 MB DDR RAM
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

There’s a major vendor trying to push this.

Windows XP simply will not run on less than 128 mb, but if you have any software installed, it will require 256 mb. If you use Windows Updates, high speed internet, any photo or image editing, or music, you cannot get by without pauses, hesitations, and reboots on less than 512 MB.
You want 1 GB to be fully opeational regardless of the software.
Yes you will meet a lot of people with stories on running this and that with low memory... but they cannot even tell you their configuration... nor describe the troubles they have. Many come to this list thinking they have an infestation.
As for the hardware you listed, it is not bad. Not bad. I would want to know the brand and model of the motherboard. You will need a great deal more memory... You don't want less than 1 GB for Windows VISTA to run without troubles... then you might as well get Windows VISTA Ultimate.

Before a final recommendation, I would want to know the price.

with XP pro - you'll want no less than 512mb RAM, preferably 1gb. XP is a memory hog and uses approx 140mb of ram just for itself. If you have integrated video or other programs, you will not have much left, plus the system will seriously get bogged down with page file swapping due to lack of ram.

I had an unused copy of XP Pro, which i used and activated the copy of windows.....But m gona uninstall it and install Ubuntu lol, since giving it away.

Should I uninstall the XP pro first before installing Ubuntu??......or just reboot and leave the Ubuntu disk in and it will install over XP i dont no how it works?? and which way is better.........

cause yesterday i put in the Ubuntu disk and rebooted and it started the installation but then............i woke up this morning apparently it was still going on ...........i mean the screen was blank dark red color but it seemed to be reading from the CD rom cause of the sound..............but i really dont think it should take over 12 hours!!

I'd get rid of XP unless you want a dual boot setup.

Once you've run the Live CD, there's an Install Icon on the desktop.

Once it's installing, it'll prompt you to set up the HDD. The easiest way is to let it do it itself, unless you already have a Partition set aside.

Then it'll prompt for TimeZone, UserName & Password, get you to remove the CD & ReBoot. That's about it.

Should take about the same time or less than installing XP.

I've found it ideal for Kids, as they can't infest it with Spyware by going to game sites etc as it is virtually Malware proof.

m bit confused...if i uninstall XP there isnt gonna be any op system on the comp so how would i be able to view desktop to install ubuntu?..........

even with installing xp lol i had to install it using dos.....hopefully that is not what m gona have to do with Ubuntu....cause i wudnt no how to

ubuntu is a "Live" CD, it'll run even if there's no o/s!!!!

Once it's installed in "Live" mode, then you get the "Install" Icon on the Ubuntu Desktop. Thats when it actually installs on the HDD.

Then you'll get the Setup options - if you choose the Automatic Disk management, it'll overwrite XP, and you'll just have Ubuntu.

I'm in a hurry, hope I made sense! {that'd be a 1st!!!!!}

ok kool yea that does make sense.......when i get home firstly il uninstall xp......then put in the ubuntu disk and see what happens.......

cause i think before it just froze or so not sure........but it was taking too long to install ubuntu.......makes sense though with the limited ram size and soo.

Thanks.

i was not successfully able to install Ubuntu..........It boots from the disk.....which is fine...........checks for drivers etc which is fine.......
U hear a music coming on...........and then nothing the screen is blank red.......it just hangs even though it is still reading from the CD drive nothing happens next

running out of ideas here.......im gona format it and remove xp and leave the comp as is.......until i figure out what to do about the OS.

How OLD is old Laptop?

I've had it running fine on a 600MHz / 256Mb Lappy.

There should be no dramas getting it to run "Live".

Sure the ISO is OK? Maybe try burning it at a lower speed?

Try running it "Live" on a PC and see if it is your burn.

zipperman said:
98 se is a good choice for what you have.
As for downloading i doubt if you can as a cd is needed with the key.
I can email the boot floppy files to allow you to format it.
Use a PM.
I agree! 98SE is a lot more stable than ME. ME was a huge mistake. *shaking head* And with such a small amount of memory, you should run a smaller OS, or add some memory.

Fragrant Coit said:
Sure the ISO is OK? Maybe try burning it at a lower speed?

Try running it "Live" on a PC and see if it is your burn.

If that doesn't work your download could have gotten corrupted, and you could try downloading a clean copy. You can also order an installation CD for free here, but I've heard it can take a few weeks to receive it so you would need to be patient.

And I hope for your sake that you do uninstall XP because since you have registered it on that PC you won't be able to use that copy of windows on another PC until it's uninstalled, and that is an expensive OS to just give away. :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back