Drive image 2002 question - bootable CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have drive image 2002 on a laptop with windows xp; I would like to create a bootable CD instead of the floppy disks. Can anyone please tell me how?

sudso

Do you have a CD from Symantec for your copy of Drive Image or are you saying your copy is a download ?. If it is the former,that CD is your BootDisk to initiate recovery etc.If it is the latter tell me and I will dig out my copy that creates the CD from Powerquest.
If you are refering to the emergency recovery floppies made within the progam . You would only use those if you can't get to your CD in an emergency.
In an emergency the Symantec/Powerquest CD boots your machine and runs the operation to recover your system from your backup media or disk.
Seeing that this is a portable you may want to look at updating you Drive Image to ver 7.03 it came with 2002 . this would allow many more options that are very convenient .I use an external HHD connected by USB and you can do the back up Hot while in WinXP.Just go to www.symantec.com updates are free to registered users.

actually, best way to make one if you have roxio easy cd is create bootable cd, use windows 98 boot disk as the template it asked for, then copy drive image dos files to the CD layout, burn. That's what I do.

ok thanks will try that, but a few questions about that.

I have a Win98 disk, but which files are the drive image dos files?

how will it know the disk swap stuff? ie disk 1 for boot, disk 2 for prog?

is the DI boot disk just the Win98 boot disk in disguise?

I will try and mess with this but any more help pls would be great

cheers
LOC

ok I have tried to do a CD in Roxio 7, from creator classic, it asks to generate image from floppy, I do with the Drive image disk 1 in.

I then dragged the files from the 2nd floppy drive image program disk.

I booted with the CD, it started but said the usual message when using floppys "insert disk 2 , press any key" doing so then just went to a dos prompt A:/

what am I doing wrong?

pls pls help this is very frustrtaing for me.

cheers
LOC

1. Create Bootable CD image in Roxio by selecting that type from new, use windows 98 boot disk as the disk to generate an image from.

2. Before burning the CD, use the contents of the second drive image disk as the contents of the bootable CD you are burning.

(At least, I guess its the second, its directory should read something like this:

26/06/2002 16:47 1,123 AUTOEXEC.BAT
26/06/2002 16:47 66,785 COMMAND.COM
26/06/2002 16:48 63,042 DIHELP.DAT
11/08/2004 20:42 <DIR> DRIVERS
03/07/2002 21:48 21 GO.BAT
16/12/1999 04:01 37,681 MOUSE.COM
24/10/2000 01:01 24 MOUSE.INI
26/06/2002 16:48 38,450 PQDI.exe
26/06/2002 17:21 1,031,462 pqDI.ovl
26/06/2002 17:24 44,424 PQDI.pqg
26/06/2002 17:24 885 PQDI.RTC
22/09/2003 23:20 29,707 PQ_DEBUG.TXT

Just make sure the have the pqdi.exe files and that stuff above on the CD.)

3.Boot from this CD, select boot with CD rom support when asked. Then, when in DOS, run pqdi.exe from the CD by typing pqdi in the revelant directory in the command prompt.

mmm on my Drive image rescue disks that were created with DI 2002 I dont have all the files U have listed I have

Drivers (folder) >aspi2dos,aspi4dos,aspi7dos,aspi8dos,aspi1616,aspi 2930
DI help
PQDI.exe
PQDI.ovl
PQDI.pqg

thats all there is??

is there anyway you can contact me pls and maybe send me a disc image or something, this is getting really frustrating

also when I try to see what files are on it is only showing me the files that I copied over from disk 2 of DI, the other bit only says system files so I dont know what are there

I am using Roxio 7 with creator classic

thx
LOC

Just follow what I have done above, maybe you don't need all of those files, just use the ones you have, you've listed the correct ones so the source is OK. Just do what I instructed.

I have tried this, ie using a Win98 boot disk (from bootdisk.com) for the template and then added the contents of the program drive image disk.

I then burned

restarted with CD, it booted but still came up with a a:/ prompt
it couldnt see any other files onthe disk

Can you check your PM also, I really need a image

cheers
LOC

you might need to change drive letter to something else.... it might be d: or something.... you have to change to your CD ROM drive letter. You have done the right thing, I am sure.

Try changing to some other drive letters. Do a dir if you can and see if you see the contents of the CD. You should do.

Hello all,
I have a similar question to the one that started this post. I have the downloaded version of Drive Image 7, not the CD. I would also like to know how to make a bootable CD so that I can restore my data, which is stored on a second HDD. I don't even have a clue as to where I should begin with this CD creation.

I would also like to request an "image" of the CD, or some other "step-by-step" instructions on how to make the CD.

Thanx,
ziggy2004

Originally posted by the loc-man
mmm on my Drive image rescue disks that were created with DI 2002 I dont have all the files U have listed I have

Drivers (folder) >aspi2dos,aspi4dos,aspi7dos,aspi8dos,aspi1616,aspi 2930
DI help
PQDI.exe
PQDI.ovl
PQDI.pqg

thats all there is??

is there anyway you can contact me pls and maybe send me a disc image or something, this is getting really frustrating

also when I try to see what files are on it is only showing me the files that I copied over from disk 2 of DI, the other bit only says system files so I dont know what are there

I am using Roxio 7 with creator classic

thx
LOC

Loc ; I understand your frustration I thought I would give you some information to help you decide your best course of action.
The bootable CD came as a download update (Ver 7.03 ) to Drive Image 7 from Powerquest.It is 380 +MB ,I do not think you can create it from the files off of the emergency floppies as they do not have all of the files necessary to run the comeplete program.(This CD has enough information to recover from a network,USB Drivesfloppies just don't have the space) Symantec purchased powerquest and have incorporated drive image's software into Ghost ver 9 and this includes a bootable CD that can restore your backup image from the CD even if you can't boot to Windows
The downside is that you will have to upgrade to Ghost 9 , Symantec should accept your Powerquest license.
I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back