Drive letter auto change in win2003 make system error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,
I just install al dual boot of winxp and win2003 ent. winxp is at the primary partition as C: and win2003 at 1st logical partition as d:. after installing it work fine. but after I do the windows update and patch to the most updated and reboot the system. to log into winxp it still function will but after boot into win2003 it showing error msg. it due to currently the win2003 drive letter change from the d: become c: now. so it make the system file unable to locate the correct win2003 file. because currently win2003 file already the drive letter with c: and the winxp file become d:. but the win2003 OS still keep on looking it own file at the d: path. any one here facing this kind of problem before? any way to solve it or change the win2003 file drive letter to become d: again? thank you

Right click on My Computer on your desktop and choose manage, in the new screen that pops up choose for Disk Management and richt click on the disk you want to change the drive letter from, first change it to something like E so the C is empty. Then change the D to C and E to D again!

Good Luck!

mindspin said:
Right click on My Computer on your desktop and choose manage, in the new screen that pops up choose for Disk Management and richt click on the disk you want to change the drive letter from, first change it to something like E so the C is empty. Then change the D to C and E to D again!

Good Luck!

You cannot change the drive letter of the system partition. You lose.

I don't entirely understand your questions. You have to run the os from the partition, or rather volume, you install it on. If it's possible to change the drive letter after the fact, your install wouldn't work. Also, renaming a volume after an install will often make it zonky.

HoopaJoop said:
I don't entirely understand your questions. You have to run the os from the partition, or rather volume, you install it on. If it's possible to change the drive letter after the fact, your install wouldn't work. Also, renaming a volume after an install will often make it zonky.

You can install and then later move a linux/bsd installation anywhere you'd like, provided you edit your fstab and make sure your kernel has filesystem support for the new partition. Only windows is restrictive as such :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back