Drive won't read blank discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

papercut_2008

Recently, my DVD burner stopped reading all blank discs- DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, CD-R, you name it, it won't read it. The discs work in other machines, so they are not at fault. Any thoughts?

The drive reads blanks in other computers? Remove it from the device manager and any associated InCD like programs that allow packet writing.

hmmm ill give that a try. also, earlier today i borrowed an old external cd burner from a friend, and it works fine. wouldn't a program like InCD affect it too?

ok another quick update. i read in another thread to check under the tab labeled "recording", and make sure it is checked. That tab doesn't even appear for my internal drive, but does for the external. any thoughts?

I don't have a recording tab for an internal burner either, don't think that is anything to worry about. Does the drive read blank disks in another computer?

yeah, it works in other machines. could nero be the culprit? i have the OEM suite, an old one (i think version 5). i've removed all other programs that could be messing with it except that one, as i have had it for years with no problems.

if you're using nero, when you put a blank disc in check what drive nero thinks its using. It may say 'imagerecorder' or something similar, so it thinks its ready to burn an image to hard drive. If this the only optical drive you have in that pc then basically it may think that if you need do copy a cd/dvd you first have to burn it to an image before burning it to blank disc.
On the initial nero screen see what drive its using, if it does say 'imagerecorder' change it to the drive letter assigned one ie.
E: Liteon DVD-RW [DVD].

hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back