Driver is enabled but not started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have just reloaded Windows XP on a pc and everything has gone according to plan except I have no sound. It is a MSI board with onboard Vinyl AC97 sound. I have tried the drivers from the MSI site and also drivers from the VIA site and both install OK but stil no sound. If I go into the properties I see the above message "Driver is enabled but not started".
I have checked the BIOS and the sound is enabled, otherwise windows would not search for a driver for it, but whatever I do I still get no sound and get this message about the drivers.
I have checked the message on the Microsoft site but to no avail.
Its a Time computer which is only a couple of months old and of course they recently went to the wall so I can't check to see if there is one of their own drivers on the website.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

MSI use the same souncard on many of their mobo's so it could be worth u checking their website out perhaps.

Hi Rik, thanks for your post but unfortunately one of the drivers I have already tried is the one off the MSI website. :(

well, unbelievably, i still have this problem after a repair of my WIndows XP PRO SP2!!!

and i have a dual boot, the other OS has never had this problem!!! isn't there anything i can do?

Similar Problem, but found solution... hope it helps

dugawug:
I have been the past two weeks w/o sound and the same driver enabled.... not started... bs. I have an HP Pavilion a604x w/ Realtek AC97 on-board audio and Windows XP Home and SP2 messed up my audio big time. i tried messing w/ my boot.ini file like some other website said and tried removing the /fastdetect switch while having it make a boot log but to no avail. I called my "computer expert" parents and my mother suggested that i do a system recovery and start from scratch. After about two hours of downloading updates yet again (probably for the 20th time) I decided to update everything (including my audio drivers) and leave the SP2 update until LAST. And what... did my ears deceive me?... I had sound again!

btw... i had also tried the swenum.inf/sys, machine.inf, and BIOS fixes, but they didn't work at all... we all know, many people out there suffer this very problem, i just hope my suggestion might be of some help......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back