Driver Problem (Code 39)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newby

PLease Help
My computer dosn't seem to see my DVD/CD ROM!
In device manager the properties for the two Drives I have (Pioneer DVD WR DVR -108 &IDE DVD-ROM 16x) has the following message in the device status: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
I have tried uninstalling reboot then reinstalling, but the problem remains, can you help?
Thanks

Have you checked for spyware? One common symptom of spyware is that it can cause your devices to malfunction or become undetectable. I've seen this problem before where the CD/DVD drive can't be detected.

I recommend using the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

Thanks For the reply

Thanks For the reply,
I have been working on removing spyware for the last two week, think i am clean now (see thread in relevant forum: Am I Clean? Security and the web) but am left with this problem. Any suggestion?
Newby

Did you run the anti-spyware in Safe Mode? Some spyware hide behind Windows security features to prevent detection and removal in Normal Mode. In Safe Mode, these security features are removed or relaxed and then they can be removed.

If problems still persist, try a repair installation.

All Good

System now back to normal, no more spyware and my drives are working again!!:grinthumb

I ended up following some advise from Microsoft; had to remove upper & lower registry filters and hey presto after a restart the drives appeared.

Just wanted to say thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back