Driver problems in Vista x64!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiedude

Catalyst 7.10 problems!?

Hi all

Just installed catalyst 7.10 drivers for a radeon x1950xt on Vista x64 business and they are not working. I get an error dialog on startup saying "no ati drivers installed, or ati drivers are not working correctly..." Can anybody help fix this?

Thanks in advance

Go to device management and open your VGA card. At the driver tab you can select last driver. Use that to set it back to your old driver. At least you will have a driver.
If you want to install the new Catalyst version of Ati check if your VGA card is in it. That will help you not to get problems like this.

Its a fresh install of Vista so no old drivers to roll back to. I'm using the top of the range AGP card so it should be supported, but I'll check again to make sure.

when i open the VGA card under device management it says the driver is installed but has been disabled because of a problem with the device, doesn't say what the problem might be though. I get error code 10 or 43, i've googled these and it seems to suggest there might be a problem with the graphics card!?

Having researched the error code 43 it seems there is an issue with nforce 3 motherboards using dual-core CPUs, ATI AGP graphics cards and Vista. Here's what nvidia have to say:

"Symptoms:
Attempting to install the graphics driver on a system containing an NVidia NF3 chipset and an ATI AGP graphics adapter may result in the driver failing to install and the 3D engine not activating.

In Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit versions, the Device Manager will show a (!) mark and the AGP card will operate in PCI mode only. When the properties of the device are shown, the error code will show as code 43.

Solution:

NVIDIA has determined that this issue is specific to nForce3 based systems utilizing AMD Athlon X2 dual core CPU's and running Microsoft Vista. The NVIDIA nForce3 core logic predates multi-core CPU's and was not designed to support them. As a result this problem will not be resolved via drivers or system bios updates. At this time the only known solutions to this issue under Microsoft Vista is to use a single core processor, or to upgrade to a newer motherboard platform."

Nice! I'm using an ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA mobo which is AGP and nforce 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back