Drone footage charts Gigafactory construction progress

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Construction efforts on Tesla’s enormous lithium-ion battery manufacturing facility in the Nevada desert continue as crews race to complete the build as quickly as possible.

Due to the sheer size of the facility (it’s expected to be the largest building in the world by footprint and the second-largest by usable space once complete), ground-based images and videos aiming to chart the project’s progress don’t really do it justice.

Indeed, the best way to survey the build is from above via a camera-equipped drone like the JDI Phantom 3 Professional used by YouTuber Matthew Roberts to capture the embedded footage above.

With Tesla’s highly anticipated Model 3 sedan in the pipeline as well as related interests like its residential battery system and solar panel roofing on the docket, getting the Gigafactory up and running at full capacity is absolutely imperative.

It’ll also be a boom for the local economy as Tesla expects the facility to create 6,500 new jobs and have an economic impact of nearly $100 billion over the next 20 years.

As of this past summer, the factory was only 14 percent complete. That figure is no doubt a bit higher today yet even with construction crews working around the clock, the buildout won’t be complete until around 2020.

Permalink to story.

Finished around 2020.

New better, cheaper, safer battery discovered by 2018.
A lot of the new lithium battery chemistries are very safe while over advantages in either discharge or capacity(sadly both isn't pracitical yet).

However, have half of the worlds lithium battery production here in the US is quite advantageous to our economy. I'm sure fusion will pop up around 2040 or 2050 making solar and wind only relevant for off gridders.

Shouldn't that really be called the "Panasonic Battery Giga Factory". I mean, Musk gets far too much credit for spending everyone else's money.

Shouldn't that really be called the "Panasonic Battery Giga Factory". I mean, Musk gets far too much credit for spending everyone else's money.
I wonder what's worse, someone getting too much credit or other people not being held accountable for it. At least Musk's egotistical intentions are well meaning. Although they say the road to hell is paved good intentions....

Regardless, I'm tired of subsidizing corn and fossil fuels. Remove fossil fuel subsidies and it's getting to the point where renewables and green energy are cheaper.

One thing people aren't talking about is how using EV's could be a matter of national security. Remember the 1970s oil shortages? We might not have tons of oil in the US, but we sure have tons of coal to power EV's or hybrids if push comes to shove.

I wonder what's worse, someone getting too much credit or other people not being held accountable for it. At least Musk's egotistical intentions are well meaning. Although they say the road to hell is paved good intentions....
And first place in that race goes to....(wait for it).....Elon Musk!!

Regardless, I'm tired of subsidizing corn and fossil fuels. Remove fossil fuel subsidies and it's getting to the point where renewables and green energy are cheaper.
My Prince, I fear you have not talked to the energy salesmen who always seem to appear at my door about that! They are telling a much different story.

One thing people aren't talking about is how using EV's could be a matter of national security. Remember the 1970s oil shortages? We might not have tons of oil in the US, but we sure have tons of coal to power EV's or hybrids if push comes to shove.
We have plenty of gas to frack here as will. Trouble is, if they keep looking for it that way, the US may become the next "Atlantis"....! :eek: I'm quaking in my boots....really, I mean literally...:D

Yes, it has been said, we have enough coal to last 500 years. Or until Trump and Putin go at it and cause our extinction, whichever comes first....:eek::D

Last edited:
So have we decided if Trump is going to cause WWIII with Russia or if he's Putin's lap dog yet?

I keep hearing the Hillary camp saying both.

So have we decided if Trump is going to cause WWIII with Russia or if he's Putin's lap dog yet?

I keep hearing the Hillary camp saying both.
It depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist. In other words, if the launch silos are half full, or half empty.....:eek:

And first place in that race goes to....(wait for it).....Elon Musk!!
That musky scent sure penetrates everything
My Prince, I fear you have not talked to the energy salesmen who always seem to appear at my door about that! They are telling a much different story.
Thank you for your loyalty, Padawan. They're trying to pull you towards the dark side. Do not take my attempt at guidance light, young padawan.

We have plenty of gas to frack here as will. Trouble is, if they keep looking for it that way, the US may become the next "Atlantis"....! :eek: I'm quaking in my boots....really, I mean literally...:D

Yes, it has been said, we have enough coal to last 500 years. Or until Trump and Putin go at it and cause our extinction, whichever comes first....:eek::D
Those quakes are nothing more than reverberations from the dark side(or whatever side you disagree with). Do not listen to them, they are just fake reverberations. We all have natural gas, why shouldn't the planet? Trump an Putin wont war with each other, they will just lob nukes at a "common" enemy. We might not have to worry about Saudi Arabia. The reason being, Venezuela has more than enough oil for the US to exploit. However, if for some reason there is a shortage of oil, We are dependent on US, Canadian and Mexican oil. EV's and hybrids put us all in a better position because most EV's meet their daily need in miles within the battery pack. That drastically reduces dependence on oil.

Worst comes to worst, we have to purely power EV's on coal. I think Trump is interested in Russia for business purposes and Putin is interested in the US because trump may be easily manipulated, but also might prove as a powerful ally in the fight against globalism. That, or it's finally time to end the second cold war.

I could type more, but I'm losing my coherence as the rum and eggnog kicks in, or was it the Cheerios and Bailey's?

It depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist. In other words, if the launch silos are half full, or half empty.....:eek:
It really depends on the half life of the fissile material. They have been sitting around for a fairly long time....

Last edited:
Back