Dropped hard drive should I replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazazoom

Hey guys lol I just bought 2 HD's for my 2bay enclosure.. as i was walkin out of the store i opened the door for some guys that were carrying a huge load, anyway i was still in his way and the hard drives i was carrying on top of my enclosures fell on cement.... :(
i haven't tried to see if they are still working...but even if they did work should i go replace them? im afraid of long term affects? i tried googling this but no straight answer...
i know dropping a HD can corrupt data but since they're brand new..they have nothing on it..
any suggestions? i bought it from ncix i could just tell them they weren't working right and they'll replace it...?

hmm
hope you guys can shed some light
i'm kind of worried

thanks

zazazoom!

They should be fine, the heads aren't above the platters like they are if you drop/bump it while its running. If they were in the box when they fell then I'm sure you will be fine, they are packaged to take a beating during shipping.

Even if they aren't you could either return them to the store, or RMA them.

oh man i bought OEM ones.. just wrapped in plastic.. :(
well i put them in the enclosure.. andd...the 500GB one seems to be working fine.. i'm formatting it at the moment..as for the 250... its saying unreadable in disk management and its only reading 7GB :(
u think if i go to ncix and just ask them to replace them cuz they're defects
they'll give me new ones?

yeah i'll probably go back to day.. damn i'm never opening the door for ppl ever again! (while carrying fragile equipment :))
but yeah i could just say they weren't working properly off the bat and theyll have no choice right? we'll make it the stock boys fault.. he dropped them :p
or i could say it was probably dropped!
but i'd feel bad for doing that .... hehe

by the way.. this nexstar MX 3.5 HDD enclosure is awesome. nice lights in the front.. fan isn't too loud..and it seems really cool :)
i highly recommend it!
2Bays
bought it for 47$ CAD

Rule of Thumb ......

zazazoom said:
yeah i'll probably go back to day.. damn i'm never opening the door for ppl ever again! (while carrying fragile equipment :))
but yeah i could just say they weren't working properly off the bat and theyll have no choice right? we'll make it the stock boys fault.. he dropped them :p
or i could say it was probably dropped!
but i'd feel bad for doing that .... hehe

When in doubt, just play stupid!

so update guys:
i did go back and get the 250GB replaced and i took another 500GB so they are identical!
almost 1T of media and back up space!
totally worth it.. i spent about 250$ for the 2 HD's and the enclosure!
which is a pretty sweet deal!
i know i have quality over those other external hd's from other companys...
Wester Digital FTW
BTW: they didn't reaplce my old 500GB the tech guy was able to format it
lol...i actually hit it on the floor a couple of times knowing i'd give it back to make sure it didn't work right..but it ended up working after a brutal beating...anyway i told the guy if it stopped working for whatever reason in the next 30 days i'll come back for areplacement..which is gave me the green light for
dope!
all and all i'm satisfied with my purchases!

PS. i had no idea computer stores likE NCIX put computers together for such a cheap price!
if i gather all my equipment for my gear they'll install it all for 25$!
water cool it for around 50$
and Oc is for around 60$
worth it? im not all too familiar with doing all this soo. might as well leave it to the pros!
anyway
thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back