Dropping internet connection - virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendragon19600

I am using my IBM X41 tablet to access the internet but I keep losing my internet connection with the loss it seems of the IP address. If I got to Command line and do a release and renew it resets it but this is happening every 10 minutes it seems. Also something (dont know what) seems to be sending to the web.

I am using ZoneAlarm for firewall and McAfee for virus management and both are up to date. Have tried reloading the Lan driver (gigabit extreme) and that does not work. I have run a WinSockfox.exe.

On my other laptop (T42) everything seems to be fine.

Please can you help

If you want to know what is really running under SVCHOST.EXE, go to a command prompt and run:
tasklist /svc

If you notice plenty of network activity sometimes SSDP Discovery Service is at fault
To disable
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Scroll down to "SSDP Discovery Service"
Double click on it.
Set startup to disabled
Apply
OK
Close Services

Restart your computer

If any programs cease to run after doing this (namely online server games)
Then return it to Automatic

please describe your ISP connection and network hardware layout (modem , router, system connections)

first action on this kind of problem is usually to update the modem+router firmware and all NIC card drivers.

I am living in an apartment block with a Lan connection to a router with 100 mbs connection speed. Will need to ask for details of the router.

I have got a 'ping' comand to the server running which is normally sitting at around 1 or 2 ms, then it will jump to say 70 or 80 ms for a few seconds. Then all of a sudden it just stops and I get 'request time out' and the only answer then is to pull the lan cable out, wait 10 seconds and put it back. after that it works for another 15 to 20 minutes.

hum; doesn't sound good. your lan should be rock solid -- there's a piece of
equipment that's not right.

>>apartment block with a Lan connection to a router

this sounds like there's a lot of wiring and hubs or switches between you and
the router. Each and every one of them is suspect. has anyone been yanking
cables thru walls or around objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back