Dsl modem and Suse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have a DSL router wich may work only as a usb device (no ethernet support from my PC). Windows recognize it as a usb DSL router network device, so everything works fine. But in Linux (I use Suse 10) I can't find any way to make it work... I am not experienced at all so I need your help (in fact I am complete n00b, I only know about 15 basic commands for the console and nothing more) :/
Linux gives 4 choices (DSL over ATM etc) - I don't know which is the right one. Most of those choices require an ethernet card, considering the modem/router is connected on the pc via ethernet. Any ideas? I think I've tryied every possible combination, but couldn't make it work :/ Could anyone please tell me what steps must I follow to make the router work via usb connection?

I would really apreciate your help.

What is the make and model of your DSL modem? Are you sure it does not have ethernet connection, cause if it does then just switch to ethernet and forget about usb (it's either or situation).
I'm currently booted into Windows, but next time I'll boot into Suse (i'm running 10.0 as well) I will give you more adivce.

It is a Telindus 1131 ADSL router. It has an ethernet port but I can't use it as for technical issues an ethernet card can't be installed on my motherboard, so I'll have to make it work as usb :/ Is it possible on Suse 10?

(thank you for replying)

you can get a usb->ethernet dongle/device at your local pc retailer if you do need it

or maybe check if theres an ethernet port hidden on your mobo somewhere (maybe just disabled?)

I appreciate you're willing to help, but the modem has to work via usb port - there are serious reasons for that :/

//Also a friend of mine has a usb-only router and tries to make it work in linux Suse 10.0 but has the same problems with me.

I am building kernel 2.6.17rc1 now. I've just noticed that there are some USB modem kernel drivers included in 2.6.17rc1, and they have problably has been there for a while. You probably don't feel like building your kernel from scratch wich I would highly reccomend but if not then you should be able to find these kernel modules/drivers in the following directory /lib/modules/2.6.xxxx/kernel/drivers/usb/atm/
Try loading these driver with modprobe command. There should be four of them: cxacru.ko speedtch.ko usbatm.ko xusbatm.ko
if module loads successfully you should get no errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back