DSL Network Problems with main computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgiaGirl47

I may not be posting this in the right place and I have no idea how to describe this exactly, but here goes:

Yesterday, my DSL went out all of the sudden (I have a desktop with a DSL modem, and a Linksys network router thing, hooked to it and then my wireless laptop on the same network). I jiggled cordss, connected and reconnected everything, nothing seemed to fix it. While I was doing all of this, I accidentally cut the power to the desktop and when I cut it back on, I got this blue screen with an "inaccessible boot device" error. That blue screen has happened before so I fixed it the way I did before, booting from the Windows CD and running chkdsk /r in the recovery console (I think that's what it is called). But that was before I even had DSL

So anyway, I left everything alone for about an hour and came back to try to get online. Keep in mind, everything is plugged in correctly and all appropriate lights are on the DSL modem, but I can't get online with the desktop. It says a broadband or dsl connection can't be found. I CAN however get online via the laptop and have a regular strong network connection.

So, I don't know what to do...did I mess something up that can be redone with the chkdsk /r command?

I don't know a lot about this. I ran the connection wizard type things via AOL and Internet Explorer, but both said no connection detected...beyond that, I'm clueless.

Thaks!

Try switching the patch cables that connect the desktop to the DSL router and the laptop to the DSL router. If the problem follows the cable, you have found the fault.
If no improvement, run the command prompt (run > cmd > OK) and then type ipconfig. You should see something like
ethernet adapter local area connection:
Connection specific DNS suffix: (value not essential)
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
If you have no value for the default gateway, run ipconfig /renew (enter) and wait. If no change your connection is not getting an IP address which is issued by the router.
Type exit to close.
Your PCs network device might be at fault.
Check in device manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware > device manager = any coloured markers on network adapters?
get back to us

Thanks for your responses.

Ok, I did the cable switch thing and was unable to get on either computer...does that sound about right? I will go buy another tomorrow and see if that works.

Before I tried that, I did the ipconfig/ renew thing and it didn't work No connection. Would that be because of the cable?

Nothing wrong with the network adapters.

I did do the ping thing as well and it worked (well the first step did, beyond that, I was lost).

First step is to try to connect directly to the DSL modem. If you can then access the Internet, the problem is with the router.

Repost with results.

GeorgiaGirl47 said:
So, I don't know what to do...did I mess something up that can be redone with the chkdsk /r command?
fix the BSOD issues before fussing with the network.

THEN;

unplug your system from the router.

View Network Connections->Lan->Properties
pull down to TCP/IP and make sure to use DHCP for both the IP and DNS addresses -- click ok

then plug the system DIRECTLY to the modem, wait 30 sec and then
run->cmd /k ipconfig /all
and post the results with your feedback.

Ok...thanks to everyone for their help but I just fixed it on my own.

I'm embarassed to say how - no really, the router has four different "lines out" tyep things on it as I'm sure you know, and I just kept plugging the cable into each one until it worked. Is it possibel that one or two quit working?

Thanks again!

ouch! what brand/model router is it? I would consider looking for a new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back