DSL Router Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm872110

Recently, I have been having problems with my Westell 6100 Router staying connected to the internet. I already reset it and installed everything over again, but still have problems with it staying connected. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for any help.

How long have you had DSL service and has it worked good up to now? If you are too far from the telephone exchange (you probably know this already), you could have connection problems. You may be within their limits, but if you are close to the limit, external conditions, like weather, can affect the quality of your connection.

This site gives you DSL distance guidelines for phone companies in the US:
http://www.dslreports.com/distance

Friend of mine has Verizon DSL. He is about 16000 feet from the exchange and at times he gets spotty connections.

Are you using DHCP? if so it could be the fact that your lease if expiring to quickly for that address, log into your router and look for these settings and adjust to 1-3 days.
Usually you would only notice a problem with this if you are using file sharring programs, but it could be worth a look.

I have had DSL service since July 17 (about eight months), and every now and then during that time it would go out for maybe about twenty minutes, and maybe on average once per month. Lately, it has been happening a lot more more longer periods of time. I do normally leave the computer connected to the internet 24-7. I am not sure how old the actual router is. Also, I believe that my lease expires in one year from when I got it, which would be on July 17.

Update the router firmware.

The DHCP lease time is unimportant - the client will try to renew its lease well before it expires and unless the server is broken or braindead, the lease will be renewed. No matter what, the connection will be lost only for a few seconds max.

Are you sure the problem is with your router and not the ISP? Next time you get disconnected, call them and let them check that everything is OK at the DSLAM end.

DSL companies to updates at weird times so that will knock you off. If that's not what is happening then you'll have to report the problem to them your DSL ISP provider and have them check out your signal line and box. You might just have a faulty box or sometime is wrong with your line?

I have also seen this problem caused by a less than ideal crimp on the Ethernet cable plug. While not the most likely cause, it would probably be worth swapping in known good Ethernet cables into the configuration to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back