Status
Not open for further replies.

radovitch

I recently buiilt myself a new computer from the ground up:

mobo: Asus P5E3 Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM: Corsair TWINX 2GB DDR3 XMS 1333mhz
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800GTX

I inserted the RAM in the correct slots (according to the MBO User Guide) for Dual Channel config. However when I boot-up the BIOS splash screen says: Single Channel non Ecc mode. I can find nothing in the manual requiring any changes in the BIOS settings.

I have queried Asus about this but have received no response. As for the official Asus forum, well has anyone tried to register with these people? The required fields demand everything but the color of your underwear.

No doubt I'm missing simple and would be grateful if somebody would point me in the right direction.

Hmm seems weird only thing I can think of is either:
you don't have them in correct slot combination (no offense)
or
Bios is just wrong and needs update.

Believe me, the slots are right. Unless the User Guide is wrong in which case all bets are off. As for flashing The BIOS, considering that it's a brand new board, just released last September, that shouldn't be necessary, should it?.

There's no harm in moving the 2nd stick to another slot just for interests sake.

It should be picked up & enabled automatically in the BIOS.

Flashing to the newest BIOS is a good idea, esp if it is a new release Board, they often contain Fixes and updated Compatability.

Anus, oops, Asus has woeful support if you ask me - I had 7 boards in a row fail in different builds (P4s-800MX),{now that helps customer confidence!}, and have recieved no explanation or apology from 5 EMails to Service - but that was only 18 months ago....LOL

Thanks for the encouragement. Though I have to say that in the ten years I have been using Asus boards I have been more than pleased, in fact the oldest board is still going strong. But this is the first time I've had occasion to avail myself of the customer service end. Have already tried another slot, thanks but the Flash does sound like a good idea. I'll do it tomorrow and will let you know the results.

To anyone interested:
BIOS flashed but no change in single channel status. Time for another email to Asus, I guess.

Don't hold your breath!!!!

I found this, but I'm sure you already know it:

"On this motherboard DDR3 sockets 1 and 3 are orange and 2 and 4 are black. In order to enable dual channel feature, which doubles the maximum theoretical transfer rate from the memory system, you need to install two memory modules on sockets with the same color (or four modules, which will use all available sockets)"

Have you tried the user's/buyer's boards at Newegg and such? Often buyers do a write up about little quirks like this. Sometimes those spots are full of good info.

Shrugg. Who knows maybe they put a new setting in the BIOS and you have to enable dual channel mode there too. If so it would be news to me too, but worth a look around.

Guess what? The joke I made about the manual being wrong? Well, that's what it was.
In addition to the thick Users Manual in english they also included a thin, quick start-up pamphlet which I at first ignored cause it was in every language except english. But in glancing through it yesterday I found an illustration showing the correct same color config for dual channel. For what it's worth, I've zinged off a nasty little note to Asus about this. For a $300+ motherboard you'd think they could do their homework. So much for blindly trusting authority.

On another note, I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with all the BSOD's I've been bombarded with ever since I installed this system?
Driver Irq Not_Less_Or_Equal, Page Fault In Non Paged_Area, Bad Pool Caller, etc, etc. Anyway if I get anymore of these I'll start up a new thread.

Thanks again guys, for your help.

PS. I'll check out Newegg. Maybe throw in my two cents worth.

What wattage/ brand name and amps on the 12Volt rail of your PSU? BSODs is classic symptom of Under powered rig. You need 28A min of 12V rail or in double rails 14A each. Read links in my sig about bsods too. Maybe you need to update mobo drivers too now that you did bios update. Most of the time mobos are shipped with outdated drivers. Just check into the Asus website.

Cheers.
ps glad to hear you got it working.

Asus really does suck. I built 3 systems with Asus motherboards a year or so ago, and they all had to be replaced in less than 6 months. I chose Gigabyte to replace them and all has been good for almost a year now

hmm, is the ram identical to each dimm, they must be the exact same spec and a lot of companys say you must use the same company for it to work.
im using 4 dimms of corsair 1gb ram pc6700 and all sticks run in dual channel mode

regards
joe

kirock said:
What wattage/ brand name and amps on the 12Volt rail of your PSU?

Corsair 620watt with Triple 12V Rails with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W).
But the thing is that since I changed the single channel into dual channel all the BSOD's are dust. Which to me is weird cause it would imply that creating a single channel mode using two identical RAM modules on a dual channel board is not only unadvisable for reasons of efficiency but in addition can screw up your system?

Ok you did your homework and bought the right PSU for your rig, nicely done.
Now my apologizes, I misunderstood your previous post about bsods, and thought you had them AFTER you sorted out the Dual channel issue.

You have a Q6600, which means 333Hz FSB, now X4 (for quad pumped databus) = 1332Mhz. This assumes dual channel mode. In single mode your 1333Hz ram can only run at 666.5Mhz. So you were OCing your ram in single channel mode, thus the bsods.

Tmagic650 said:
Asus really does suck. I built 3 systems with Asus motherboards a year or so ago, and they all had to be replaced in less than 6 months. I chose Gigabyte to replace them and all has been good for almost a year now

I've been buying Asus for about a decade and not had any issues like this. Perhaps you are not installing the motherboards properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back