Dual-boot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrari24

I installed Windows 2k then Windows XP on my computer (in that order) and I need to remove the harddrive that I installed Windows 2k on.

Since I installed Windows on that hdd first my computer won't load Windows unless the driver is connected and is set in the BIOS as the primary hdd.

How do I get my other hdd containing Windows XP to boot up on its own without the hdd holding Windows 2k (and get rid of the OS selection screen)?

So basically, how do I get rid of my dual-boot system?

Edit: I manually created a boot.ini file on Windows XP hdd but it isn't seen, even if I do "bootcfg /read" from the recovery console. Also, if I do "bootcfg /rebuild" it says that it can't complete the process.

Sorry if i don't fully understand, but are both OS's on the same drive just on different partitions? or on seperate drives?

1. Same Drive: Remove 2k partition and XP should boot ok.

2. Different Drives: Remove the 2k Drive, Change BIOS Settings to boot XP HDD as primary drive.

Simon

There are on different drives.

When I remove the 2k drive and set the XP hdd as primary it says "System boot failure, please insert system disk and press enter."

I can see the boot.ini file on the 2k drive but not my XP drive so maybe that's why. What should I do? Copy the file to the XP drive and remove the 2k entry?

Edit: Here is what the boot.ini file says on the Win 2k drive:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(3)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

And here is how Windows sees my hdd's:
Code:
Windows 2k (C:) 30 GB
SATA1 (D:) 250 GB
SATA2 (E:) 300 GB
Windows XP Pro (F:) 500 GB
IDE Partition (G:) 90 GB

Windows 2k and the IDE Partition are from the same IDE hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back