Dual boot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new hard drive today and I installed it, then installed vista on it. All went well expect when I try to load xp from the boot screen it loads up and just stays at the welcome screen; the screen before you can enter log in. So i don't know what to do but I can access the hard drive from vista and load vista well.

I'll assume you created two different partitions on the new hard drive.

I'll assume you installed Vista in one of those partitions and Windows XP in the other.

Which one did you install first?

OK. Now i understand what you meant/did when you added a new hard drive.

But putting XP on one HD and Vista on the other should work should as well as having one drive containing two partitions and XP and Vista in its own partition. So that should be ok.

Finally, one secret to (an easier) success is installing the oldest OS first followed by the newest. That was the root of my question. But seems you did that as well.

Sorry can't offer more immedidate help but wanted to give u a quick reply as i saw u responded quickly yourself... I'll look around and if i can find anything might help... will post it. In the meantime, would be curious should you find the solution yourself..pls post it.

well i had to fix it the stick way, reformat my old xp drive re install it insert vista get the boot loader to go, go into bootloader in vista add xp and thats it and now its working and time to reinstall 150gb of data -_-

Interesting...

I've had to patch the loader myself when i've done a dual boot and didn't install oldest OS first (in one case, I was running XP and later installed W2K to support a friend's machine).

So interesting XP then Vista was a problem.. Must be another "feature" of Vista! Glad you solved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back