Dual boot: redhat 9 and win98 se

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,
Im trying to dual boot windows 98 se, and red hat linux 9, I looked at that long guide to installing linux for the first time, but it was for an older version of red hat, and there were so many corrections to it, that it got impossible to follow.

This is my computer:
Pentium 2 350mhz
128mb ram
soundblaster 16
Intel 740 8mb graphics card
13GB hard drive

On my 13 GB hard drive, I have installed windows 98 se, its FAT32.

This is what I think I have to do (correct me if im wrong):
Use partition magic to make ext2 primary partition for linux
Use partition magic to make swap partition for linux
use boot disk, and then install linux on the partition i made

Is it that simple, or am i missing some crucial steps?
Please correct me if im wrong,

thanks in advance

It is that simple.

You have to be very careful when installing the boot loader.

Linux partitions don't really have to be primary, you can use any kind of partitions for Linux.

And there is no need to format the partition with PM, formatting it as ext3 in Linux setup makes more sense.

There's less and less reason to fear Linux these days, especially Red Hat. Just do a custom install and read everything carefully before doing it. Its easier than Windows XP I think, given that part of that installation occurs in a text only environment with a "blue screen of death" setting that scares a lot of people silly.

If boot loaders and stuff scare you, just elect to use a boot disk and get used to the Linux world, first.

A lot of this world is just like Windows - Microsoft didn't invent the internet, graphics cards or partitioning hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back