Dual Boot: Vista first then XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can!

Create another partition on your harddrive with decent space. You then need to get your vista install dvd and install to that harddrive you just created. Vista will now take over the boot record of the harddrive, but if you "boot to earlier windows version" you can boot to your XP Partition still.

Simon

What if I have 2 hard drives?

Senerio:

I had XP on my older computer,
bought a new computer with vista 32 bit.
Want to integrate my OLD hard drive in with the new tower, and be able to run software from the old HD as XP while new programs and such on Vista. Can this be done?

I have searched and found that others use the SAME HD to do this, but I want to use a separate HD as it has all my files and old programs and games (esp. those that are incapatable with Vista)

any ideas? thanks

thanks for the reply.

so if i goto msconfig...and do the edit, is it straight forward?

When i connected the two drives in the past, when i load windows, it says that there was an error...i guess since both drives say they are the master drive. will this correct that issue?

i'm sorry, but this is all new to me. about the only thing i know in msconfig is how to change the startup applications.

again thanks for your help.

- Knight+

Hi, thanks again.
when i click the link, it says it's for xp, can I apply this to vista msconfig?

what is cable select? how do i know if i have it? you know what? i will google that one.

but if you can please clarify the link...can I use it on vista, or do I have to make my xp drive the master and the vista the slave?

also, i think setting up the slave drive is changing the pin config in the back of the HD. Is this correct?

knight+ said:
Hi, thanks again.
when i click the link, it says it's for xp, can I apply this to vista msconfig?

what is cable select? how do i know if i have it? you know what? i will google that one.

but if you can please clarify the link...can I use it on vista, or do I have to make my xp drive the master and the vista the slave?

also, i think setting up the slave drive is changing the pin config in the back of the HD. Is this correct?
When you get to the end of the page, you find this.
Note about Windows Vista
It should be noted that Vista uses a different way of managing the boot process. There is no longer a text file called boot.ini. Boot information is stored in a Registry-like file called the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store. Extensive information on the new boot process can be found at this Microsoft site. Vista comes with a command-line tool bcdedit.com for configuring BCD. However, the command-line tool is rather complicated to use and a free editor called EasyBCD has a graphical user interface that is simpler to use.

The link embeded there might have the info you are looking for.

ugh...this is a pain....i really don't like vista....

they did this on purpose huh? too many people were getting around and making XP too convienent :p

ok...i will do my best...i appreciate the help

- Knight+

Your welcome :)

If you want vista still...

This is how my PC is setup:

XP Harddrive is Master, Vista is Slave.

XP was installed first, then i installed second harddrive installed vista to that...Vista will override both Master Boot Records (MBR) and when you boot it'll give you a choice screen with "Earlier Version of Windows" (windows XP) and the "Windows Vista" (which boots to windows vista). By Default, Windows Vista is the primary boot option.

Simon

so using this way...i should follow the example from the link you gave me earlier...with the msconfig and boot.ini right? also change is so the XP is the master and vista is the slave, right? will this have any effect on the effectivness of my computer? no right?

so many quesitons...i'm sorry...but i want to get this to work. i apprecaite your patience with me.

- Knight+

No you can do it, sorry I got here so late. As its been pointed out, that boot.ini thing doesn't work in Vista.

What you want is a program called EasyBCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back