Dual boot W2K / XP: 2K launches, XP won't ... brain teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you guru types:

Built this machine couple of years ago - running smoothly until I loaded PNY 6600GT AGP -- Don't recommend it if you are running KT133 VIA Mobo from Asus (FYI). So here's the problem:

70.60 drivers permanently scraped my VGA stability - restore, repair etc all failed and I had to reload XP. So be it - I was way over due. Now the fun starts...

Initial problem (STOP 0X0000004) was resolved first by deleting the Drivers.cab file from \windows\driver cache\. Actually that was a recommended action from a trusted source that went no where. I replaced the file from another XP machine. (source of 2nd issue below?) This was resolved but see below.

The reinstall was on partition (2) XP D: where my partition (1) C: is 2K. The boot.ini file got scrambled (this isn't new unfortunately) and I had to do a new file and load it onto the C: root. What is wacked it that if I set the 2K partition as (1) and the XP partition as (2) -- As they should be -- I get the famous Hal.DLL error. So I set them in reverse and 2K will boot, but XP locks up. I have solved this before by reversing the parititions but this time no dice.

The lock up occurs in both normal and Safe mode boots ... I have pulled everything but the Ethernet, Sound & video cards.

Any assistance would be appreciated b/c I believe I am close to cracking this...

Please keep the n00b suggestions firmly in your cyber pocket. I'm looking for an ace...

If you have W2K on the C-drive, and then install XP on the D-drive (second partition on same disk, right?), XP should automatically add its own startup-line to c:\boot.ini and replace the W2K-files ntldr and ntdetect.com with XP-versions. I assume that XP also alters some bits in the MBR, but that is only my assumption.

Boot.ini would look something like:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

with W2K as the default in above sample.
Starting from the XP-CD you could do a Repair and do FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back