Dual boot Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

be_tnt

Hello,

I would like to create a dual boot with Windows XP Home and Pro edition. The PC I will use for that already run the home edition. I bougth a new disk to install the Pro edition. As this is the first time for me to do that, could someone indicate the different steps I need to execute?
What I plan to do is the following:
1. Connect the new disk as slave
2. Partition it: 2 partitions, one for the Windows XP pro and one for the data

Now starts my doubt:
a. should I insert the Windows XP pro CD in the CDROM and then reboot on it?
b. should I insert the Windows XP pro CD in the CDROM and execute the installation from the Windows Home environment?

I would appreciate if someone can help.

Why would you dual boot XP Home and Pro? Why not just upgrade your Home to Pro? Sorry for not answering your question but I'm just dumbfounded.

LNCPapa said:
Why would you dual boot XP Home and Pro? Why not just upgrade your Home to Pro? Sorry for not answering your question but I'm just dumbfounded.

Exactly my thoughts - seems rather pointless.

Doing an upgrade will leave some XP home edition files what I do not want. The XP pro is needed to run a machine (which prints and cut) and a clean install is needed for that. You can think: why do not just install XP pro from scratch on the XP home disk? Just because we used some software that required specific settings and it took a long time to do it :p
By the way, I did the dual boot and it's working well :D

By the way, is it possible to hide the second bootable partition? To be more clear, when I boot on the XP home, I do not want to see the XP pro partition (and so when I boot on XP Pro, I do not want to see the XP home partition). Is it possible to do it?

You can do it with Partition Magic. I think it works with two OS's. Haven't got time to read through the manual at present. If you can't get this of the Net let me know and I'll read through it and confirm.

LNCPapa said:

I got a reason to dual boot HOME and PRO.

Quicktime Temp Files. :evil:
My Reason... figure it out. :cool:

be_tnt said:
Unfortunately I do not have Partition Magic :( Any other way to do it?

Cant you use Tweak UI to hide the partition you don't want to see? If all your talking about is the drive letter on windows than this will work. If your talking about something else than nevermind this post.

LNCPapa said:

You now have a good point because my Quicktime temp files don't work with the newest version of QuickBuckstime. But no need to fear. Just google and download Quicktime 7.0.2a38 and you have your reason to dual boot XP Home and Pro. :D

be_tnt said:
In the meantime I bought partition magic :p

You will need to use PM to create a small FAT partition on the system drive for you to install the BootMagic utility from the PM CD (it is not part of the default installation of PM). Then you can use BootMagic to control your bootable partitions. The instructions are in the PM literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back