Dual boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neveron

hi guys:
i have got windows XP professional fully installed on my computer, however, now i want to have a Chinese windows 98 operating system on my computer as well as the existing XP. is it possible to install it now?
thanks.

It is possible, but it will be rather messy so I'd suggest starting over with TS dual booting guide.

In theory:
If your XP installation is on drive C:, then you have to move your XP partition away from the beginning of the disk and create a new partition for Win98. Then you install 98 and finally repair the XP installation. And finally you run into huge[\B] problems with drive letters being messed up. I don't know if there is a way to fix it.

If you installed XP on some other partition, then things are easier. You just install 98 to C: and repair the XP installation.

i don't quite understand what you are talking about, could you be more specific? do you mean, i remove the C partition(the only one i have at the moment), and creat two partitions (C&D), then i install Win98 to C and repair XP on D?...
following is what i did...
when i finished formatting the C and D(extra partition that i created) i don't know how to install Win98 to C, since when i put Win98 disk into the CD-Rom after formatting the C partition and restart the computer, it seems the CD-Rom doesn't detect the Win98 disk... (i already set boot from CD-Rom first), what can i do?

Get a hold of a boot floppy, it seems to me that the CD you are using isn't bootable anymore for some reason. If you can get a 98 boot floppy, use that to boot, then change to your CD-Rom drive and run setup from there. This should work.

If you can't get hold of a Windows 98 boot disk (for some crazy reason), you should know (if you don't already) that Windows ME boot floppies also contain generic CD-ROM drivers. Just thought I would point that out, as I would have died to know that back when I was trying to install 2K with XP Pro.

i did use the win98 start up disk... it has three option, one of them said: start with CD-Rom support... however, when i delete all the old partition(only C) and create the new partition (C&D), there is no way i can format it... because when i type format (c:\>format), it saies the parameter is missing-
and i don't know how to chang from c:\> to the CD-Rom...
are these caused by winXP that i have installed?

If the format command is on the boot disk, try typing "A:/format C:". Replace C: with whatever drive letter you want. I think that is what you want to do; new posters don't make their intentions very clear these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back