Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two hard drives and would like to be able to boot to either on start up with Windows installed separately on each.

I can then boot up one drive to run as a
Cubase only machine and the other as the everyday PC.

Effectively having two independent machines in one.

Is this possible?

Yes, you can have as much installations of Windows 2000 or XP on your machine as you like. You might want to edit the c:\boot.ini file, so that you can give a different name to each installation to reflect its differences or functions.

Pardon my ignorance here, I'm a bit of a novice..

I've looked at running more than one Windows on one partitioned drive via Addawins..

But what I want is 1 drive - 1 windows.

Ideally when i turn the computer on, it asks me which drive I want to boot. If I ask for drive 1, It boots up the first Windows, with all the drivers, internet connection.. etc as a normal PC
Drive 1 being the C drive

If I ask for drive 2, it boots up the other version of Windows with nothing but Cubase and the Windows essential files on the desktop. i.e Drive two becomes the C drive.

Each drive has it's own Windows on it, so effectively creating two separate computers..

sounds simple, i'm sure it's not!

Its exactly the same procedure to install a 2nd XP on

a) a different partition on the same hard drive, or

b) a different partition on a different hard drive.

During the installation, you will be asked to specify the target partition. Its really not hard.

Can you boot to Windows98 now? And do you want to have Windows98 on one and Windows 2k/XP on the other?

If so, pop in your 2k or XP cd while in Win98. When you are going through select New Install, rather than Upgrade. Then its either that screen or the next (maybe 1 after but I don't think so) where you can do something like 'choose install partition'. That way when it begins the installation and asks you reboot (taking you out of the windows environment). When it reboots there will be a bootscreen that will appear for a second or 2 and by default it will take you to 2k/XP setup. From there follow on screen instructions and when you get to the screen that allows you to choose install partition find your other drive there.
I believe its as simple as that, but its been since Feburary since I have installed Windows, and much longer since I had a 98SE and XP dual boot. (it was actually far enough back that XP was still called Whistler)

Also for other threads dealing with this click the little blueish-purplish box near the top of this page that says search, then type in dual boot, there are lots of threads dealing with what you want to do, and probably some more thourogh explanations.

I don't have XP at all. I just want WIN98 on both drives.
May sound mad, but running Cubase draws just about all the resources the PC has. If you're using the machine as home pc with lots of drivers on it and internet access etc, Cubase runs badly.
Hence I want to be able to boot a Cubase only Windows if you like.

I'll search some old threads too..

You may have some problems running Windows 98 like that. Its no problem with 2000/XP, but Win 9x may not like it. I've certainly never done that.

AFAIK Windows 98 wants to boot the first hard disk. So you have to install Windows on one of the HDs, then swap the disks and install the other Windows. Then install a boot manager that supports swapping drive IDs. I suppose most advanced bootmanagers can do this. I did a quick search and at for example Smart BootManager claims to do this. http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back