dual booting with win ME + win XP on sata2 hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have a problem which has been bugging me ever since i got my new system a week ago.

1st off, here are the specs:
Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz
Asus P5LD2 SE mobo (Intel 945P chipset)
Corsair DDR2 PC5300 1GB RAM
XFX Nvidia GeForce 7300GT DDR2 256MB 128bit graphics card
Western Digital SATA2 320GB 16MB 7200RPM hdd
Lite-On DVD-ROM

-Here's what i want done-
have winME installed in C:, dualbooting with winXP on D:
if possible, i would like to have 6 partitions in my 320GB hdd- approx 30+30+30+70+70+70

-Here's the prob-
on my older system (a P3), i could easily have winME on c: and winxp on d:
now, with a clean sata2 hdd, i can't seem to install winME. on trying to boot with d installer cd, i

get a msg saying unable to copy installation files as disk/partition is not fat32/is ntfs.
so i had to plug d hdd into my fren's comp to get it partitioned using his winXP to 30+30+30+70+70+70

partitions, with all in FAT32 except D: in ntfs.
now, winme can be installed onto C:, and works fine once i change d option in bios to 'compatibility

mode' instead of 'enhanced mode' which is for winXP/2000. in winME, i popped in the winXP cd, and i

select 'new installation' (NOT upgrade), provide d serial key, select 'copy files to XXX folder and

checked d box saying 'i wan to choose drive & partition to install' in the advanced option. after a few

more settings to make, d system reboots, and a boot screen appears, so i selected 'Microsoft Windows XP

Setup' and the blue setup screen appears.
installation files loads rather quickly, less than 2 secs, and a msg saying 'Setup is starting windows'

is displayed. after a short pause, a deeper blue screen appears saying 'windows has been shutdown to prevent damage, blablabla unmountable_boot_device, all the usual stuff abt restarting in safe mode n all, then a stop error code'

any idea how this problem can be fixed? btw, when installed alone, winXP works fine, just like winME.

ME is extremely outdated and does not play well with newer hardware. People run into all sorts of random issues with it and new systems. A year ago I tried to install Win 98 on my Athlon Xp system and it kept crashing only in Win 98.

You know, Microsoft recently stopped supporting 98 and ME completely. I say you just stick with XP, what do you need ME for that XP cannot do?

Another thing you can try is using Partition Magic while in Win Xp and make a new FAT32 partition through there and install it. Partition magic makes things like that easy.

sellmesanity said:
ME is extremely outdated and does not play well with newer hardware. People run into all sorts of random issues with it and new systems. A year ago I tried to install Win 98 on my Athlon Xp system and it kept crashing only in Win 98.

You know, Microsoft recently stopped supporting 98 and ME completely. I say you just stick with XP, what do you need ME for that XP cannot do?
yea i'm fully aware of all these, but stil, i somehow prefer having win ME together along with winXP
sellmesanity said:
Another thing you can try is using Partition Magic while in Win Xp and make a new FAT32 partition through there and install it. Partition magic makes things like that easy.
i've tried tat, using partition magic to create all the partitions
this isn't a prob with my hardware (i.e. hdd) issit?

#1. Windows ME was the WORST OS ever made by microsoft. It was a successor to 98, but in fact performed worse and was extremely unstable.

#2. Don't use such an antiquated OS with new hardware. You'll run into issues.

Sorry bvS if it seems like we are teaming up on you, but security experts and computer enthusiasts alike highly recommend that we stay away from these 9x operating systems (Win 95, 98, ME) for security reasons and so that we can run all the newest software and use the newest devices with stability.

There is definitely a conflict with Windows ME and your new hardware if it isn't working like your OLD system did. Just let Windows ME rest in peace my friend!

Intel doesn't list Win9x driver downloads for 945 chipset at all, so it looks like they don't want to support "old" operating systems.

Some other chipsets have an option to set SATA channels appear as tertiary (and above) ATA channels, but that usually means losing RAID functions.

If you need to run WinMe, you could try VirtualPC.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Some other chipsets have an option to set SATA channels appear as tertiary (and above) ATA channels, but that usually means losing RAID functions.

If you need to run WinMe, you could try VirtualPC.
i think d part asking me to choose between 'compatibility mode' and 'enhanced mode' is what u mean-for compatibility mode d SATA appears as secondary, while for enhanced mode it appears as tertiery

Ah, the mainboard only has one parallel ATA (the "old" one with 40-pin) connector? In that case, yes, it would be the secondary.

However, changing the setting after installing an OS might render it unbootable.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Ah, the mainboard only has one parallel ATA (the "old" one with 40-pin) connector? In that case, yes, it would be the secondary.
yupe, only 1 PATA controller- used by the dvdrom with the slave still being spare
Mictlantecuhtli said:
However, changing the setting after installing an OS might render it unbootable.
not exactly. i have my SATA plugged as the quartenary master(2nd red slot instead of the 1st red slot), and so in compatibility mode(primary pata+sata), it'd appear as primary master while in enhanced mode(sata), it'll appear as the quartenary master. this way, the pata and sata device can both be detected by bios under the compatibility mode

*note: under compatibility mode, there r 3 options : primary pata+sata; sata; pata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back