Dual Channel DDR? GA-7N-400_L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

HI, My m.Board supports dual channel DDR, but the manual is a bit vague...

I understand that a complimentary card in channel B will double the bandwidth, but will this also double the RAM? or is this only if both are in channel A.

The way I picture it - and I may be way off - is the 2 slots of channel A, or B are connected in serial, whereas the channels THEMSELVES are parallel.

I hope that I explained that clearly???!!!???

Thanks in advance, STEVE.

" A little knowledge is a dangerous thing "
SOMEONE Famous???

Using 2 x 512mb sticks of ram in dual channel mode will increase the bandwidth but also still give you 1024mb of system ram.

I often explain that dual channel ram operation is a similar concept to RAID-0 with hard disks.

I found this explanation over at PCStats forum

Dual channel memory works just like RAID on a HDD. Basically the two memory controllers stripe the data accross/between both sticks of RAM to allow faster access. Functionally in single channel memory the one memory controller just assigns address to the RAM and realistaically sees one 'chunk' of RAM being the sum of all the sticks. In dual channel each controller address its stick of RAM independently and allows each stick to be access simultaniously.

Hope this explains things :D

Arris, YOU DA MAN !!!

I've learnt more perusing this site than anywhere else... Magazines etc.

Top Site !!!

ok so i just got 2x512 dual channel ddr sticks. the thing is when i put them in my compter it only sees that there is 512 in there...shouldnt it say that there is 1024? do i have to install some dual channel software or something? please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back