Dual Channel not working :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hello!

I've got today a new corsair memory stick, after I sold one to my uncle, who REALLY needed it.
But, then I fired up my PC, started CPU-Z, and it tells me that I have only one RAM channel. I have two Corsair Value 512Mb sticks.
Something that I didn't like about the new stick, is that is single sided, and my "old" one is double sided. Is that the main issue??

My mobo is a Biostar tforce 6100-939, and I have one RAM on the green slot, (aka DIMMA1) and the other on the other green slot (aka DIMMB1). I tried to change them, and no luck.

Any advice would be well-taken.

Thanks!!

are they both the same speed? I would check the sticker on the ram to make sure they are the same.

in order to use dual channel - both memory sticks must be twins - in other words a perfect match.

It's not a requirement on every mainboard. Mine works fine with different brands of memory, with different latencies.

iss said:
are they both the same speed? I would check the sticker on the ram to make sure they are the same.

Yes, they are. Both are PC3200 Corsair Value. They're the same model number.

It seems that the new single sided stick is not dual-channel compatible with the other double sided one. I don't know why Corsair have to change the sticks over time.

Is there a GREAT difference between dual channel and single??
I really haven't seen a difference.

Thanks! :)

Mictlantecuhtli said:
It's not a requirement on every mainboard. Mine works fine with different brands of memory, with different latencies.
may not be a requirement, but it avoids most headaches!

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I guess I'm stuck with single channel. It doesn't bother me too much because I really haven't seen any difference.

Thanks!

Well, now my girlfriend thinks I should sell my my two 512MB sticks, and get 512MB X 2 Dual channel kit. Should I listen to her, and do that?

Is it worth the hassle?

You'll score big points with your girlfriend if you do as she suggests. :)

As it's an AMD system, you'll get a good improvement in memory bandwidth, but overall system performance wont be improved too measurably. AMD's really work awesome even with very little bandwidth.

Some things will be noticeably improved though- like pagefile to memory operations, big transactions in photoshop or if you encode/decode dvd's to files, etc.etc. Games will probably only see a smallish improvement though at best.

If it were an Intel system, I'd be swayed to make it a BIG DEAL.. but as it's an AMD, it's not nearly as important. Nice, but not a show-stopper.

And as previously mentioned, keeping the girlfriend happy regardless is usually a bigger priority.. especially if you have a lumpy couch or her time of the month is coming up. :D

Thanks for the helpful replies, especially yours Sharkfood :)

I think I will avoid the hassle (it would be a REAL one), and because I use my PC only for gaming, and some internet, it should be fine. Fortunately, I don't have an Intel setup (I hate Prescotts), so single channel should be fine.

I'm afraid I will have to kiss my girlfriend a lot to keep her happy :) :) :)

no such thing as a "Dual channel kit motherboard" - either your motherboard supports dual or not (most do nowadays). Some RAM sellers sell twin packages of ram as a "Dual channel kit", but this is a misnomer. Any ram brand that your motherboard supports will work in dual channel mode if your motherboard is dual channel capable AND you set it up that way. Dual channel always requires twin sticks of memory of the same type, brand, and size. They must be inserted in a dual channel motherboard in the dual channel slots -usually indicated by the same color.

Some motherboards also offer a TRI-mode. (3 sticks of same memory.) Some MSI boards do this. I know - I have one.

Tedster said:
no such thing as a "Dual channel kit motherboard" - either your motherboard supports dual or not (most do nowadays). Some RAM sellers sell twin packages of ram as a "Dual channel kit", but this is a misnomer. Any ram brand that your motherboard supports will work in dual channel mode if your motherboard is dual channel capable AND you set it up that way. Dual channel always requires twin sticks of memory of the same type, brand, and size. They must be inserted in a dual channel motherboard in the dual channel slots -usually indicated by the same color.

Thanks for your reply Tedster. A while ago, I bought a 512MB Corsair Value Select. Then, almost a month ago or less, I bought another 512 Value Select, (same model and brand), and dual channel didn't work, because one stick (the older) is double sided, and the newer one is single sided.

That means no dual channel for me :(

Thanks for your help all of you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back