Dual Channel RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I bought a new computer and I have a little problem. Here is the setup:
Geil DDR2 LONG DIMM 2x512MB 800 MHz
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition, AM2
CPU AMD ATHLON 64 4200+ X2 Dualcore Box, AM2

The problem is in RAM. I red the manual and it says insert RAM into slots colored with the same color. I have 2 black and 2 yellow slots. But if I put them in the same colored slots computer freezes or doesn't start. If I insert only 1 module then the computer works ok.

So i hope anyone here can help me with my problem.
Thanks in advance!

is the ram compatible with your system?
Is there a setting in BIOS you have to change?
Is your BIOS the latest version?

Yes the ram is totaly compatible with my system. I red the manual again now and there are settings in bios about ram, but dual channel ram is not mentioned anywhere. I haven't updated my bios. So I don't know.

Dual channel is mentioned in the manual on pages 2-12 and 2-13. Maybe there is a reason your Geil memory doesn't appear on the Asus QVL List. I don't know for sure though. Lots of times it doesn't matter but maybe this time it does.

Yes i red that pages. But if I put both into yellow sockets it doesn't work. Even if I switch them. And i wouldn't say that GeIL isn't supported. Hmhm.

Well then, if it isn't the RAM, that seems to leave the motherboard or maybe power supply. What is your power supply? Not only the brand and watts but amps on the 12V rail or rails.

You are sure your ram is compatible? Its not only the clock speed but also voltages etc...?

Regards,

Korrupt

Read, sorry, my mistake.

Ok i checked out your guide. There is something mentioned about BIOS/CMOS setup error. I get that error when I put in both rams into the first (yellow) slots. Otherwise i hear few sounds from my computer speaker. Now I run my system with only 1 memory stick from that GeIL package. So my ram isn't compatible with my motherboard? But how can then system run normally with 1 stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back