Dual Core 2160 1.8GHz working on 450Mhz????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again guys.

Yesterday I bought an Intel Dual Core 2160(1,8 Ghz, s775), with an ASUS P5VD2-VM (s775,VIA900,DDR2,VGA) motherboard.

When I installed everything and after setting some details in the BIOS menu, I discovered the following line in the CPU CONFIGURATION menu:

CPU Speed : 450 MHz

Also there was nothing to do, in order to change the multiplier or the bus speed.

After installing WinXp, I downloaded CPU-Z, in an attempt to find out what is going on. And there was a surprize! The cpu Speed, according to CPU-z was 1.2Ghz with 6x200 multiplier, and sometimes, especially when the cpu was stressed, the multiplier was changing from x6 to x9 very often, reaching the real 1.8Ghz cpu speed.

How do you explain all the above? Is there something wrong with the bios? Is this the way the cpu works?

Ty in advance!

According to Asus support site, that CPU is supported in your mainboard BIOS version 1105 and newer. You can download 1105 from here.

The CPU speed change you see in Windows happens because of power saving. When idle, the CPU multiplier goes to 6x.

When I power on the pc, the first screen says:

CPU SPEED: 450 MHz
CPU Model: Intel Dual Core 2160 @ 1.8 GHz, which means tha the BIOS recognises the CPU(no need to update the bios, I guess) but why it says CPU speed 450?

probably says 450 because there is a problem with the bios you have, hence the reason why there is a newer version. Try it and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back