Dual CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuzZah

I'm just wondering if its possible to make a dual AMD 64 system? I've only ever seen Dual Xeon systems.

Its just I'm working on saving about £3000 (5,427 USD) for a new PC for basically everything. I run some very resource intensive software quite a lot of the time and want to be able to still have a functioning PC while its running which is sometimes not possible with my current setup.

I was thinking Dual AMD 64 3800+ would be nice :D but I have a strange feeling in my head it won't be possible.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Ben

Oh very possible, pretty sure you can run dual 64's, but maybe only Dual Opertons (amds line of 64bit server cpus). Just make sure these intensive applications you run support dual cpus, the software has to support it, much like software needing to support 64bit in order to run at 64bit.

You cannot have dual Athlon 64s. You can have dual Opterons which is just as good or even better (and lots more expensive).

Your programs do not necessarily have to support dual CPUs. The OS can make use of two processors by running different threads on different chips. If your apps are multithreaded or you are running several demanding things in parallel you are OK.

Originally posted by PuzZah
Its just I'm working on saving about £3000 (5,427 USD) for a new PC for basically everything. I

So you don't have it yet correct? Apparently, dual core Athlon 64s will be out soon. I'd get that and 2 6600GTs in SLI. Should suffice what you would want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back